Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently returned from Iraq and purchased a used 1997 A4, I love the car to death!! I have had, unfortunately on about 3 occassions, the tranmission lock itself into fail-safe mode until i turn off and retart the car.

As I am a very poor US soldier, I am looking for anway to troubleshoot this issue on my own. My knowledge is limited and all I can figure is to flush and change the filter and the trans and hope for the best.

Is it possible that some other component other than the trans is causing the problem?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
yeah... the only thing that would be able to put your trans into fail safe mode would be the computer. its a good place to start. have you gotten a check engine (or other) malfunction light?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya my check engine lioght comes on about once every two weeks.... doesn't seem to be linked to when the trans locks, and the dealership told me it was because the previous owner had removed the muffler and just ran straight pipes that it was a carbon monoxide sensor or somthing like that. I am so car dumb I just took them at there word.

Is there a way to troubleshoot and see if its the computer, short of buying a new one?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Originally posted by FatAssAntFarm@Jan 22 2005, 08:31 AM
Is there a way to troubleshoot and see if its the computer, short of buying a new one?
honestly not that i can think of... i'm not an expert but i'd say take it to the dealer... pay the $90/hour for them to check it out.. cant go wrong

1 - 6 of 6 Posts