Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
New audi owner. Just bought my mate's 93 16v coupe for £1000. Noticed a burning smell after a long motorway drive. Looking at the fuses to change one for a wiper noticed there was no fuse plugged in for the radiator fan. The engine temp guage seems to come on sometimes but then goes all the way to the left.

Couple of questions I need help with:

1. Should I hear the fan running when I stop and get out of the car?(Because I don't)

2. What should the coolant temp guage read during a long drive if working normally?

The car is known to burn a bit of oil. Could this explain the smell without being anything too sinister?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi:
First off welcome to the forum. We all will do our best to help out. I'm sorry but I do not know a lot about the 93 coupe but you may have a thermostat issue. Also, could you describe the burning smell i.e. does it smell like oil?

·
Registered
74 Posts
hi- my coolant guage generally runs between 50 and 90 depending on the ambient temperature- the cooling fan switches on at around 95 when the car is stood at idle
the cooling fan switches off when the ignition is switched off

no fuse in the radiator fan circuit either

if the car gets too hot the warning light on the dash should flash(the one with the little thermometer)

check the engine for oil leaks to check out the burning oil smell---- also check the hydraulic pump for leaks-this may only leak when under presure so with the engine running turn the steering wheel to full lock in both directions

let us know what the outcome is

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I guess it smells a bit like oil. As I said, it is known to use oil a bit quicker than normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers. When the guage has worked it hasn't gone over 90. But it's weird how the guage just stops working. I'll get it checked out.

Do you mean there shouldn't be a fuse for the radiator fan? The fuse list on top of the fuse box says there is, I only saw that as it was a gap and looked at the list to see what it was for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I too had no fuses in the circuit board for the fans, and I've never had the fans come on, even when stuck in a jam.
Good luck with it,
Tom

·
Registered
74 Posts
the intermittent fault may be connected to the little gizmo electrical thingy behind the dash that links the fuel guage and coolant guage as mentioned in other threads-but i cant find them now-the electrical thingy that i refer to is some sort of voltage stabiliser its a common fault

1 - 8 of 8 Posts