Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that a 10v block (like from a 1988 Quattro 2.3L I5) can not have a 20v head put on it (say from a 1990-1991 20V Coupe Quattro 2.3L I5). Is that true? The guy said that the valves would strike the pistons, but the bore as well as the stroke are the same. Do the pistons on a 20v block have reliefs in them? Lastly, can a 20v block be hooked up to a 10v drivetrain? Are the bellhousings the same or would I need a 20v bell. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, because there's an audi quattro sitting in my friends yard (no mechanical problems, just stoped driving it and couldn't sell it) and i was wondering if i could bolt the 20v head onto mine and possibly swap in the tranny with the driveshafts and rear suspension to make it a 20v quattro in disguise. Anyone with ANY knowledge on either of these subjects please post!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't know if are the same blocks... If they are, you both are lucky... the pistons of a OHC 2valve per cyl and the 4v p/c are a lot different... valves angles aren't the same... generally is a must to swap pistons too...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Although the blocks are the same on the out side, the oil and waterways are not, so the heads cannot be swaped. However the 20v will bolt straight in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts