Audi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, well I just finished my first oil change on the car. I went with Mobile 1 5W-30
and a long filter. But my question is does everyone re-install thier under belly fairings back in? I'm just wondering what the pro's and con's are for not installing it. Any feed back would be appreciated.

thanks,

·
Registered
149 Posts
:huh:
I was also wondering about this. On the one hand I figured it may help with cooling but on the other it is probably not good for throw-up of stones which may cause damage, dust pick up and general aerodynamics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I'm not sure either. No one seems to be able to offer a answer so I guess I'll call my local Audi dealer and feel them out and see what they think. Here's a link to my oil change and repainting of the lower engine cover.

Lower Engine cover

·
Registered
149 Posts
:)
Thats commitment for ya! I wasnt too fussed about respraying what I cant see.
As for Audi's opinion, I guess they are going to say it was designed to be there, so best leave in place. But it will be interesting to hear if they have any other comments.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm no expert but by the looks of my underbody guard on myA6, they put some thought into it. Aerodynamics to reduce drag, air scoops for directiing flow to specific locations and overall protection from road debri getting up and into the 'jewels'.

I don't think they would of put the time and weight into the car unless they felt it served a purpose.

Unless I got a real good explanantion from an Audi Engineer - mine stays in.

CA2.7TS

·
Registered
149 Posts
B)
That logic makes sense to me! I think all the ideas we have discussed are likely the ones Audi came up with and the reason they designed it to be there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I tend to agree with you as did my Audi contact at the dealer. As stated earler mostly to keep dirt, trash and what not away from the "jewels". It does serve a aerodynamic function as well but it not really useful to the car until approx. 80 mph is what my service writer at the dealer told me. 80 mph! thats great cause thats my normal cruise speed :devil: So the consensus is to keep it for sure!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Us stateside guys have to remember that these German cars we born to run on the autobahn.

The first thing my friends notice when they cruise in my rocketship is how smooth it is as we fly along on the highway.

I am torqued that the damn thing is speed limited at 130. Still breaking it in so the assault on 130 has not been attempted but when I do - you hear on Audi Forums.

Nice sharing so thoughts on aerodynamics and parasite drag.

I won't tell you where I pick up those terms!

See you on the US Autobahns,

CA2.7TS :w00t:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by CA2.7TS@Mar 16 2005, 12:29 AM
I am torqued that the damn thing is speed limited at 130. Still breaking it in so the assault on 130 has not been attempted but when I do - you hear on Audi Forums.

Nice sharing so thoughts on aerodynamics and parasite drag.

I won't tell you where I pick up those terms!

See you on the US Autobahns,

CA2.7TS :w00t:
yes your chipped ecu should no longer have a limit to it. My Revo'd ecu does not I've now been 140 and it feels great! I'm not sure what my mechanical limits are but I'll find out soon! Parasitic drag & aerodynamics, all are important to our drag coefficients! :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts