Audi Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello wanted to share with you my CAI. I used some pieces I had laying around
Code:
from other car projects and coble cobbed together a CAI.  Very simple and seems to work quite fine. I put it together this morning and drove around a bit, ran it to red line a few times and I've so far not recieved any check engine lights.  I'll dyno it later to see if I lost or gained and power.  You can now hear the turbo spool and the D/V go off.  So far I'm happy with the results.



[img]http://worldofcraig.com/images2/ccai/ccai3small.JPG[/img]
[img]http://worldofcraig.com/images2/ccai/ccai4small.JPG[/img]
[img]http://worldofcraig.com/images2/ccai/ccai5small.JPG[/img]

Craig
[url='follow.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fworldofcraig.com']World of Craig[/url]


[img]http://worldofcraig.com/images2/audiedge.jpg[/img]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
B)
Hey Craig, looks good. Follow this to my posting on the subject. Sadly I do not know of anyone in Bahrain doing dyno tuning, as I would be very keen to do the same as you are thinking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Kelvin@Feb 21 2005, 06:03 AM
B)
Hey Craig, looks good. Follow this to my posting on the subject. Sadly I do not know of anyone in Bahrain doing dyno tuning, as I would be very keen to do the same as you are thinking.
Hello, yeah your CAI install is even shorter than mine is! After having driven it a bit more with some more to red line pulls I'm convinced that there is a bit more grunt to it now than before. Non the less it was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying one of those purpose built TT kits. :grin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
^_^
Well I felt a positive difference but sometimes hard to know if it is just optimism! Have you installed a cold air inlet pipe to feed the area? I did not manage to get mine through, it is one very tight squeeze in there. I have yet to try again along the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Kelvin@Feb 21 2005, 11:48 PM
^_^
Well I felt a positive difference but sometimes hard to know if it is just optimism! Have you installed a cold air inlet pipe to feed the area? I did not manage to get mine through, it is one very tight squeeze in there. I have yet to try again along the battery.
No I have not started it yet, I'm debating if I want to move the bat. to the truck(boot) or not. Since there is so much extra wiring hooked up to the bat. I may not go that route. But If I decide to move it that will I think allow me enough room to vent in cold air to the intake from the front. Another Idea I'm thinking of if using my plasma cutter and making a series of small holes or vent slits in the hood then sealing the bottom of the hood area with a plastic box that will cover the air filter when the hood is closed thus drawing cooler air from the out side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
:huh:
Sounds like a wow idea but nothing I would have the confidence to do. I think neatly done vents could give a sporty look and would definitely serve the purpose. Will probably also allow more noise out the engine compartment though, if this is an issue. I would definitely be interested to see the results of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Kelvin@Feb 23 2005, 03:44 AM
:huh:
Sounds like a wow idea but nothing I would have the confidence to do. I think neatly done vents could give a sporty look and would definitely serve the purpose. Will probably also allow more noise out the engine compartment though, if this is an issue. I would definitely be interested to see the results of that.
Well I'll let you know once I make up my mind. I'm not worried about noise, infact I like the whoosssshhh noise from the engine compartment. I like to be able to hear what the engine and turbo are chimming. I too think that nicely cut vents in the hood would also look good, if nothing else it would be different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Originally posted by auditt1.8l@Feb 23 2005, 10:00 AM
Well I'll let you know once I make up my mind. I'm not worried about noise, infact I like the whoosssshhh noise from the engine compartment. I like to be able to hear what the engine and turbo are chimming. I too think that nicely cut vents in the hood would also look good, if nothing else it would be different.


Guys, I just installed my Neuspeed CAI....WOWOWOWOWOW What a difference, I couldnt be happier. The install was so clean and simple, that screw by the battery gave me some issue as i didnt have an extension for my socket wrench, but I made do......The sound that it makes is AWESOME! That wooooooosh sound is something that I was never able to achieve with a blow off valve, do entirely to the fact that we need to recirculate our blow off......I just took it for 3 passes down my street and I feel a noticeable difference already, I really hope its not just wishfull thinking!
This car is slowly turning into the little engine that could :grin:

Bring on the Lexus IS300 again!!!!!

Attached some pics of my work on the CAI and a side view of the ride. Let me know if you were able to view them.







[attachmentid=497][attachmentid=497][attachmentid=498][attachmentid=499]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Silver00TT@Feb 25 2005, 03:52 PM
Guys, I just installed my Neuspeed CAI....WOWOWOWOWOW What a difference, I couldnt be happier. The install was so clean and simple, that screw by the battery gave me some issue as i didnt have an extension for my socket wrench, but I made do......The sound that it makes is AWESOME! That wooooooosh sound is something that I was never able to achieve with a blow off valve, do entirely to the fact that we need to recirculate our blow off......I just took it for 3 passes down my street and I feel a noticeable difference already, I really hope its not just wishfull thinking!
This car is slowly turning into the little engine that could :grin:

Bring on the Lexus IS300 again!!!!!

Attached some pics of my work on the CAI and a side view of the ride. Let me know if you were able to view them.
[attachmentid=497][attachmentid=497][attachmentid=498][attachmentid=499]
Good job on the install. Looks really good. I like your TT in the silver. Mine is black and what a pain in the but to keep clean!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
:thumbsup:
Looks like a very neat job there, the shield is a clever idea but I wonder how effective it is in minimising heat. I guess it will help reflect radiated heat but I am sure there is still alot of convective heat drawn in, since the air is still from the engine bay.

I think the vents could be the way to go with your idea and wondering if you could make up an aluminium cover plate with the slots cut in as deflector vanes. Polished and anodised it could have quite a visual effect consistent with the rest of the TT design. Maybe someone can get creative with Photoshop and do a mock-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
:thumbsup:
Looks like a very neat job there, the shield is a clever idea but I wonder how effective it is in minimising heat. I guess it will help reflect radiated heat but I am sure there is still alot of convective heat drawn in, since the air is still from the engine bay.

As far as heat goes, I ran the car for 3 or 4 passes down my block, came back, opened up the hood, felt the Stainless Steel "Heat Plate" and nearly burned my pointer finger off, this shield is for the birds. The only benefit I can see for having the shield is that it doesnt directly allow HOT HOT Air onto the CAI. Good luck with the hood scoop vents, a mock up would certainly be nice to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I've got photo shop and I'll work on doing a mock up of the vents. I too was thinking about the aluminum cover that would have angled vents directing air in. I'll see what I can come up with in photo shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Originally posted by auditt1.8l@Feb 26 2005, 11:07 AM
Well I've got photo shop and I'll work on doing a mock up of the vents. I too was thinking about the aluminum cover that would have angled vents directing air in. I'll see what I can come up with in photo shop.

Just got the windows tinted on the TT I'll take some photos of before and after, and im about to leave for Miami to get the Revo Software upgrade...wish me luck, hopefully I can come back with tales of racing Porsche Boxter S and eating them up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Hey man, sorry about that, I have had a horrible two weeks.....two deaths in the family, and have been having house guests.....need less to say I have not been paying much attention to my TT and the forum....im back now though......glad to hear about you beating that WRX and the 230, thats some nice wins.....ill post some pics tonight or tomorrow of the tint......Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Silver00TT@Mar 14 2005, 05:04 PM
Hey man, sorry about that, I have had a horrible two weeks.....two deaths in the family, and have been having house guests.....need less to say I have not been paying much attention to my TT and the forum....im back now though......glad to hear about you beating that WRX and the 230, thats some nice wins.....ill post some pics tonight or tomorrow of the tint......Cheers
I echo to you my condolences to you and yours. It's a tough time to get through I know. But hey we're glad to here you'll be back in the saddle soon on the forums and look forward to your pics.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top