Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase my son his first car. Interested in an A4 and based on budget it looks like we will need to stay around a 1999 model. Between the two engines that year, 1.8T and 2.8 are there any issues I need to beaware of? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
im sure u dont plan for your son modify the car for speed so i say you should get him a 2.8 becasue even if he wants to modify the engine there is nuthing he can really do :)

2.8s are more relible then the 1.8Ts, the 1.8Ts have alot of issues with oil sluge
the 1.8T becasue of the turbo u have to baby it and stuff but the 2.8 can take a lil
more punishment

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
AllWheelGrip is absolutly right about modifyig parts. u can't really do much with the 2.8 but either way when something breaks like the timing belt and water pump, it will run from 860-1000 dollars to fix for both cars. i'm 18 and i found out the hard way about audi being a very expensive car, but it is well worth the money!!!! well good luck on your decision and u won't be disapointed with the a4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a 2.8 for my first car and like it a lot...there are like zero mods but it is fun to drive if not manual look into tiptronic it will add something to the driving experience. A4 has been great so far but get a solid warranty. Good luck

·
Registered
195 Posts
The only reason to get a 1.8T motor is for a bit better gas mileage. It is also slower and might be a safer car for your son. It just won't accelerate that fast. And being several hundred pounds lighter than the V6 might keep you son out of trouble since it handles a bit better than the V6.

Otherwise, I agree with the others, the V6 is probably the better choice.

VB

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is your planned driving habits. V6 is smoother and quiter (lower rpms) than the 1.8T at highway speeds, so if you do highway trips fairly often vs. alot of city driving, the V6 will be the better choice.
The 1.8T is a lighter engine and provides great balance in the car resulting in great handling and little or no under/over steer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts