Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all,

I'm new to this site and have joined because I have seized the engine on my audi!!

I have a 2002 Audi 1.8t, just three weeks out of warranty (61,939 miles on the clock) and I managed to seize the engine last Saturday night in the middle of the Scottish Highlands - inconvenient to say the least!

Here are the basic symptoms:

Oil warning (dripping oil can) on the display (and yes I know there is a difference between the red and yellow symbols - now I do anyway, after the event), plenty oil on the dipstick. I am used to seeing the symbol three or four times a year, when the oil needs topping up, but was unaware of the fact that there is a red and yellow version of the symbol (not very ergonomic of audi perhaps). After a time (not sure how long) the engine squeeled and cut out, never to start again.

The AA man who rescued us says that this is not an unknown or uncommon fault with the 1.8t.

Has anyone out there had the same problem or know if it is a well klnown issue with this engine? I am pretty disgusted that whatever I may or may not have done wrong in continuing to drive on, that such a serious failure could happen to a relatively new car that was regularly fully serviced by Audi (and had just had a full service just three weeks beforehand). Please help!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Have you been using synthetic oil? Audi Canada issued a tech bulletin and there has been some news regarding an extended warranty on the 1.8T engine due to the accumulation of oil sludge, which can lead to an engine failure. You should ask your dealer for details.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe Audi of America as long as you can prove you had oil changes in the specified time the should still warranty the motor. check with the warranty company

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'm sorry about your troubles. I had the same problem happen to me on my 2003 A4 1.8T, and they replaced my engine and it still doesn't run properly. I am hoping to find information on what we can do about this. There were prbms. w/ the coils of these engines and we weren't notified about these prblms. I am at a loss on what to do. My car hasn't run properly for the the whole three and a half years that I've had it. I recently had to lease another car because I am unable to drive mine now. It is once again at a dealership so they can try to figure out the problem. Let me know if you find anything out.

Thanks and good luck,

Dana

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
ill buy it off u :) name a price where u located

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2002 A4 1.8t with just over 50,000 miles that has engine problems and a failed steering rack, I bought it new and also had it serviced at the dealer. A non dealer mechanic who I consulted gave me a copy of the technical bulletin out on these engines - if you want a copy I would be happy to fax to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, and I know of others as well. I truly think we should all get together and do something about it. I sued Audi already and my lawyer told me to settle for a mere $2500. They put a refurbished engine in my car when it happened at 30,000 miles and I have already paid almost $2,000 in repairs since the warranty was up at 50,000. I am unable to turn the car in for another two months, but still have eight months on the lease. I have to pay it off early....another $2100, or I will be paying for two cars at once. It has truly been an awful/very stressful experience for me. I have had to go lease another car because I can't even trust this one because I'm afraid of how much the repairs will cost. What to do??? If you have any useful ideas, let me know. I think we should take this up with the Better Business Bureau. Audi is well-aware of this defect and we have all been taken advantage of.

Disgruntled Dana :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also had steering problems and it continues to leak steering fluid and my dealership fixed it three times.

My gosh!!!! I think I better not get on this website anymore. It infuriates me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The first thing to do is take it your audi dealership. There is a issue with the 1.8T A4 motors sludging up due to lack of oil changes and non synthetic oil and small oil holding capacity. Originally, the A4's had a 10,000 mile oil change interval using non synthetic oil and a oil capacity of 3.8 qts. It's audi way of saving money by not using synthetic and extended drain intervals, and now they are paying. Another main cause is the PCV system hoses deteriorate and break apart and get sucked down in the oil pan, the oil seperator does not really work that well, due the design of the system. So, when I have a car with a oil light, I have to first check oilpump pressure, if its not sufficient, I have remove the valve cover and check for cam journal cap damage and remove all the caps. If even one has damage, I have to replace the motor, turbo charger, all oil lines, and pcv system.
If no damage is found, I have to perform a desludge procedure which requires me to clean the whole system of sludge, replace oil pick up tube, replace the turbo oil feed and return lines, and replace all the PCV hoses and some check valves and brake vaccum retrictor booster valve. Anyway, the period for this warranty issue it
8 years and unlimited mileage, as long as the customer can show oil changes being done by the manufacturer's policy(every 10k)
Now audi is using a bigger oil filter that increases oil capacity to 4.3 qts and requires the use of castrol 5W40 synthetic oil in their oil changes. I recomend customers change the oil every 5K. Hope this helps
THen again, do the simple checks first, make sure you have sufficient oil in the car, even if the sender is faulty, dont take and chances andhave the pressure verified.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by DanaNicole@Feb 18 2006, 06:37 PM
I also had steering problems and it continues to leak steering fluid and my dealership fixed it three times.

My gosh!!!! I think I better not get on this website anymore. It infuriates me.

Probably a steering rack leaking, I bet if you poke a hole in the bellows boot, fluid will drip out. I have replaced a couple racks under warranty due to them leaking, but there appears to be no leaking fluids externally from the lines or pump area because all the fluid is being retained in the boots of the rack. Good luck

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Hi. Ive just had the same problem on my 1.8t 2002 reg which has just done 76000 miles.As i was driving home about 40 miles on motorway at steady 80mph the red oil can light came on.I thought it was to tell me that the oil level was low but as it was before i just bought it 2 days before and got it topped up i thought it was a light that needed to be reset by audi.Any way the car was still running fine and as i got to last 5 miles of my journey i heard a horrible rattly/tappety sound from top of engine.I pulled over and had a look.sounded like top end of engine had been starved of oil.Phoned audi next morning and they said they had this problem few times before.Apparently due to car being driven at motorway speeds for long run and then not allowing turbo to run on at tickover caused turbo to crystalise oil on turbo blades and when started up again spits the crystalised oil off and then it blocks the oil drain(gauze)in the bottom of the engine thus stopping the oil pump pushing oil to top of engine.Therefore low pressure light comes on.I am annoyed that such a minor thing could cause so much damage.Car is going back to garage on monday to see what has happened.Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i heard a tech buletin in USA about this being a problem for the 1.8 and 2.0 version, it still call then they might still fix it as they have issued a "tech bulletin" u got nothin to losetryin anyhow!

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Turned out engine was sludged up.Not due an oil service by audi for another 2000 miles.They flushed engine and pump but oil pressure was not constant so had to fit new pump.Alls well now luckily no damage to engine.
Tried to get audi to cover oil pump replacement but refused to admit that oil should be changed more reguarly than service interval.I wish the uk audi dealers were more honest about this problem as the americans certainly are with there tech bullitons!BEWARE ALL -KEEP THAT OIL CHANGED AT SHORTER INTERVALS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts