Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a high flow cat, forger diverter valve, custom 2.5 inch exahust. remus muffler, GIAC chip, short ram air intake and STILL I find I'm easily bored and frustrated when driving my car. It feels as if I have to work so hard and drive at over 4000 rpms to get any power out of it. Does anyone feel the same way or is there something I can do to liven my car up? Install a crank pulley maybe? (last mod possible before going for a turbo change). Could it be that because I have bigger injectors and running rich that my car just feels like it's not working properly or smoothly or are those just characteristics of this 1.8T engine? Looking into a VR6 maybe? More smooth linear power?

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
yea why are u running bigger injectors who big are they
running rich really kills performance, i say switch be to stock injecotrs and see what happens

the GIAC programming is smooth

·
Registered
195 Posts
There are lots of places in your system where you could be losing horsepower instead of making it. Is your custom exhaust made locally by an exhaust shop? Or is it a custom well known brand like Milltek or Borla? Local shops are notorious for bending pipes and leaving ripples on the bends by not using a mandrel bending machine. It's very easy to make a bad exhaust system. Same goes for the Remus muffler - does it match the rest of your system? I would normally suggest that owners stick with a complete exhaust system from a known brand instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

The short ram could be causing problems too. There have been several messages/posts about the short ram systems pulling hot air from the engine bay instead of cool air from the front of the car. Again, if it's hotter, you're going to lose power. The stock side mount intercooler is overworked as it is - add a few degrees of hotter air and you will definitely suffer.

If everything you did was working properly, then your 150hp motor should be up to around 215-225hp.

1997 A4
3241lbs 225hp 14.40lbs/hp

2001 S4
3593lbs 250hp 14.37lbs/hp

So your car should be about as fast as a stock S4.

However, Audi's have never been known for their drag strip performance. If that's what you are looking for, maybe a different car might be a better starting point. I prefer the Audi for the quattro system and cornering ability, especially in the rain (here in the northwest US).

VB

I agree with AllWheelGrip about the injectors too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya my exhaust was done at a local shop and it's not mandrel bent but that can make such a huge difference? Maybe I'll change my intake too but the only one i know is the carbonio and it's real expensive...

THANKS A LOT though for all the feedback

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My injectors are 310cc... I dunno how big stock ones are? But since I have been using these bigger injectors for 3-4 months, now that I siwtch back to normal injectors will I have done any damage?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
from all i've read it seems that the Milteck sports is the best possible off-the-shelf exhaust upgrade. over here in aussie I've seen many remus systems for sale as owner wasn't impressed after install. I have a milteck SS system purchased from the US make a huge difference from stock

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you put the injectors on after the the gaic chip? Id call up giac and ask them. I know they can modify the programming for your bigger injectors. Also, If they do have a program for it and you decide to get it you might want to look into a better Fuel pressure Regulator. But id call the guys at giac up first to see what they think. They might just suggest going back to stock injectors as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts