Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - wondering if someone can help!! I purchased an 03 A6 3.0 with 41K miles last summer. Car is great, other than once the outside temperature got colder, it makes a very loud steering noise. Took it into Audi for service and they told me there was nothing wrong with the steering, just that the car makes this type of noise in cold weather. They could not replicate the noise as it was 50 degrees when I took it to Audi in December. They said the steering fluid was fine, as was the steering pump. My Audi warranty expired in 12/06 and now that the really cold weather is here, it makes this noise all the time. The noise seems to intensify the more the steering wheel is turned to the extreme right or left. What is wrong with my car???? :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just check the level in your power steering tank again, I just bought an A6 and there was a loud slushing like noise as the pump was leaking so after a few weeks of owning the car I had to replace the pump... It's only €140 but just check the level
Best of luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - this is a follow-up on Lauren's message first posted on 1-24-07. I have a 2004 A6 2.7T quattro and I am having the same exact problem. Loud steering noise during cold weather - the noise is worse when the steering is turned fully to the left or right (e.g. a tight turn into a parking spot). Took it to the dealer a few days ago and all they did was replace loose clamps in the power steering pump, which doesn't seem to have fixed it. Just like Lauren, when I got back the car from the dealer, the temp was mild, so the noise wasn't there and now two days later, the noise is back as the temp has fallen 20 degrees. Especially bad when I first start the car in the morning. The new car warranty is expired but the car is under the Audi-certified warranty now, which did not cover the clamps.

Does anyone have any suggestions or did Lauren figure out what the problem was? Other than this cold-weather problem, my car's a treat to drive!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My problem was low power steering fluid. The TSB states that during cold weather, when the car is cold, the fluid must be at or slightly higher than the max indication on the dipstick. Mine was about 25% above the min line (if max were 100%). Adding fluid to about 10mm above the max line solved my steering whine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - this is a follow-up on Lauren's message first posted on 1-24-07. I have a 2004 A6 2.7T quattro and I am having the same exact problem. Loud steering noise during cold weather - the noise is worse when the steering is turned fully to the left or right (e.g. a tight turn into a parking spot). Took it to the dealer a few days ago and all they did was replace loose clamps in the power steering pump, which doesn't seem to have fixed it. Just like Lauren, when I got back the car from the dealer, the temp was mild, so the noise wasn't there and now two days later, the noise is back as the temp has fallen 20 degrees. Especially bad when I first start the car in the morning. The new car warranty is expired but the car is under the Audi-certified warranty now, which did not cover the clamps.

Does anyone have any suggestions or did Lauren figure out what the problem was? Other than this cold-weather problem, my car's a treat to drive!

Thanks!
Another followup...I just had to have my power steering pump replaced along with all of the hoses to the tune of $1100+

This after I brought it to the attention of the dealer over a year ago due to the low whining noise during cold weather...which they told me they could not reproduce (it got warm that afternoon) and that they saw nothing wrong with the pump or the hoses.

This time, I checked the fluid and it was fine.

That puts me at $6000+ in the last 1.5 years alone.

This car has turned into a money-pit. I may be ready to cut my losses and call it an expensive lesson learned. These cars are great...as long as they are under warranty :).

-AustinA6

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys were dead on the power steering fluid. My A6 was above the max line, so I brought it almost to the top. It is quiet as a mouse now.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts