Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 allroad (45k miles, bought about 6 mos ago) won't start in the following scenarios:
1- Car is not driven for a couple days.
2- If anything is left plugged into the sockets, such as a radar detector, cell phone charger.
3- I added an iPod adaptor (connected via pre-wired cd chager) in rear cargo compartment. This seems to drain the battery as well...

These are drawing very little power and I don't have any problems using these devices in other cars...

I jump the car to start it and it is fine for a while...
I took it to the dealer and the tested the battery / alternator / electrical system and said that it is all within acceptable limits. I took it home and it continues to happen.
I'm taking back to the dealer tomorrow. I have till the end of the month till my factory warr runs out...
I love this car but don't want to have to jump start it 1/2 the time...

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Please advise. Thanks!

BTW- Also considering whether or not to buy extended warr...
Any advice here?

·
Registered
256 Posts
The easiest / cheapest thing to do would be change the battery and see if the problem goes away. As for the ex warranty, read the fine print and check it out first. There are some shaddy deals out there. That said , mine has paid for itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The dealer charged it and it's still going dead... Going back to them this week.

Not sure whether to buy ext. warr (from dealer) or just keep the car for a year or so, then get an A4 or A6 Avant.
Reading consumer reports it lists the allroad 01-03 as having reliability and frequent repair issues...

I appreciate your help. This is the 1st Audi I've owned...

·
Registered
26 Posts
The suggestion was to "change" the battery not just
charge" it. Having said that, I also have an iPod adapter connected like your is and I have not had any trouble. I travel frequently and leave the car parked for several days at a time with no problems.

I'd recommend you have the dealer see if there is some sort of power drainage occuring other than normal. If that all checks out, remove the iPod adapter (which could be bad) and see if that helps.

Finally, if the car isn't driven often, then the battery may just be at the end of the road and needs to be replaced. If you don't drive the car routinely, I'd also suggest a battery maintainer that can be had at a local car parts store.

Good luck, let us know what happens!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it 'change' the battery not just charge it...
That's what I initially requested from the dealer, but when they completed the diagnostic they said it checked out fine... Haven't had time to take it in again, will take it tomorrow and post what happens.

Will you please advise:
In General has the car been reliable?

What kind of iPod adapter are you using?
I put a 'Peripheral' in connect to the pre-wired plug in the cargo area...
It sounds good but the controls thru the steering wheel or the stereo don't work (in all functions) as advertised.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Will you please advise:
In General has the car been reliable?
Yes, our '02 has been outstanding! Had some front rotor problems but after replacement there, everything has been just fine. We now have nearly 70K miles on the car and it is running/performing beautifully!

What kind of iPod adapter are you using?
We have a DPX Technologies Audi iPod interface. It works through the stereo (and steering wheel) controls and has been flawless. It plugged right into the CD changer cable that came with the '02 MY in the back cargo area. Very easy "plug and play" installation. I really recommend them and the prices have come down since I purchased mine!

Did you get your battery issue worked out? Did the dealer check to see if there was excessive drain on the battery while all was "shut down?"

Maybe it is your iPod adapter. Did you take it out for a few days to see if the battery would hold?

Keep us posted!

CL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi-

Dealer replaced the battery and all is well, no more problems!
They also checked for excessive drain which was not an issue.
Although I haven't left anything plugged into the sockets, radar detector etc., don't want to push my luck, the service mgr said that some Audi's do have problems with accessories draining the battery enough that the car won't start... "usually that is when the car isn't started for several days".

Otherwise my iPod interface works great other than some stereo controls don't do exactly what they're supposed to, but I can live with that.

Finally, FYI, I did purchase a 3 yr 36K extended warranty for $2100- from the dealer.

All in all I love this car! Much more fun to drive than my Volvo XC70.

Thanks for all your advice! I hope mine proves as reliable as yours.
See you on the road...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts