B7 Convertible seizing during manual operation [Archive] - Audi Forums

: B7 Convertible seizing during manual operation

JMAUDI
07-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Hi,

My 2007 A4 convertible top has stopped working a couple of times. Always when I try and bring it back up - the rear cover opens an inch or so and it stops.

I read the threads and figured out how to cycle it manually and that has re-set it both times and it has worked again.

However, when I go to do the manual cycle I turn off the engine, put the parking brake on and lift up the rear cover which then locks in the up position. When I go to lift the soft top up out of the well it will only come up a couple of inches and it seems stuck. I muck around trying different things for half an hour and then it suddenly goes soft, the rear cover can move and I can lift the soft top up again.

Any ideas why it is seizing at first and then compliant later?

Any servicing I should be doing to make it operate smoothly so it does not stop in the first place?

This time when I tried to lift the top out I heard a 'ping' on one side and then the other and I managed to snap two plastic linkages. I think they are just followers that stop the inner liner getting caught in the linkage and are not really load bearing. I could just glue them back together but we have a scanner at work so I am going to scan them and 3D print some new ones. I will document the process so I can share when it is complete.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

James

iselinzilla
03-27-2018, 10:16 PM
I know there is an $80 plastic sensor on the passenger side top frame there in the back. Mine was broken and glued when I bought it. You'll see the wires going to it. I recommend zip ties around the "arms" of the sensor to reinforce it. It's just a potentiometer that tells the computer the position of the top. If it's not working, the top freezes so it doesn't trash itself.

I'd attach photos but I'm a newbie and can't. Oh well.

Good luck!

bumpy3
05-30-2018, 06:45 PM
You might need to service the hydraulic pump's motor; specifically the motor brushes. I know there's a good step by step DIY guide. I'll get the link and post it when I have chance.