Rear end vibration S8 when accelerating [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Rear end vibration S8 when accelerating

Blackpearl
12-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Hello all, and thank you in advance for your help. A couple months ago I had my S8 in to look at the rear brakes, and turned out they said I had a few more thousand miles to go before repacing. Right after that, I started to notice a shudder vibration when going around a corner and accelerating. It only lasts a couple seconds, and occurs turning right or left. I can feel in in my seat and seat back and I get the sense it is coming from just behind there. I then tried hard acceleration from a stop in a strait line, and under max acceleration, the same thing happens. I had my mechanic ride with me, and he could not come up with a good answer, and said to bring it in and put up on the lift to check things out if it got worse. When I asked if it could be low on rear diff fluid, he did not think so, but I have not checked that yet. It is getting a bit worse, but still only if significant acceleration from a stop turning 90 degrees. I spun the wheels for fun in the snow (ESP off) and there was just a bit of shudder.
So, could it be as simple as topping off rear diff fluid? There isn't anything I could think of that removing the rear tires to look at the brakes could do, right? I guess having said that, it would be smart to take off and put back on the wheels.
Thanks again!
Burgie

Blackpearl
12-13-2015, 11:16 PM
Forgot to say it is a 2003 S8 with 145k miles. I did take the wheels off and did not see or feel anything unusual, and it still has some vibration, although it may have felt a bit different. Probably not...just hoping that would resolve the issue. The rear diff looked damp on the bottom, but when I wiped it off, there was no obvious fluid residue.

Anyone have an idea?
Burgie