timing belt failure [Archive] - Audi Forums

: timing belt failure

ronmay
04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
My wife was recently driving her '03 A4 Cab. 3.0 on the highway at 60MPH. Suddenly she got a coolant warning light. She immediately started to slow down and pull to the shoulder. Before she could stop, she got an oil pressure
warning followed immediately by engine shutdown. When she exited the vehicle, steam was rising from the hood and coolant was leaking from the engine compartment. We towed the vehicle to my house. The engine turns over but appears to have no compression. The timing belt is still on the
track. I must assume that it stripped at the crankshaft gear. The belt was changed about 15K (2years) miles ago. Can anyone tell me if the coolant leak could somehow be responsible for the timing belt failure? Is the cost of repairing the engine more than a used engine would cost? I am assuming that I will find bent valves in at least one head. Does it usually destroy the head, or just the valves?
Sorry for rambling. Just don't know where to go from here.
Ron

maxim_s45
04-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Sounds more like a head gasket. What do you mean no compression? Any oil in coolant?

ronmay
04-05-2013, 09:02 PM
The car has been diagnosed by an Audi dealer. They say an old water pump leak caused a premature belt failure. We have had problems with rodents
eating parts under the hood. They say this had nothing to do with the failure.
The engine is JUNK. 12K to replace. Sold car for scrap. Never again!

Screamer
04-08-2013, 09:28 AM
I understand how frustrating it was on your part.

How much did you sell your car for?

ronmay
04-08-2013, 10:30 AM
I got $1000, but I had to pay $100 to be told the engine was trashed.
Ron

Screamer
04-24-2013, 07:43 AM
I see. That saved you from a lot of damages, then.

What car are you using now? Just wondering.

ronmay
04-24-2013, 07:57 AM
We bought a fully loaded 2012 Nissan Altima SR. Nav, Bose 6 disc CD,3.5L 270HP, heated seats and all the standard stuff. $23K but it should last a long time as my wife only does about 5K per year.