Power steering problems - boiling fluid? [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Power steering problems - boiling fluid?

adampad
08-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I've recently ran into more power steering problems and wanted to get some thoughts on it before I take it to a mechanic. The car was getting progressively "whinier" to the point its embarrassing. It spits fluid out and it's very hot too. Yes it has Audi's fluid in it.

I bleed the system and things felt great and smooth with no whining for a few miles but within 30 miles it was starting to get loud again.

So straight to the point....what is most likely causing it?

A: air in the system
B: bad pump
C: bad rack
D: other

A little more history on my PS problems. Back in the winter the car I had the PS pump replaced, I also had one of the those hard plastic PS hoses replaced since I broke it trying to flush the system. Car had worked perfectly until recently.

maxim_s45
08-21-2012, 05:00 PM
The sound is due to air in the system, can you spot the leak? Anything under the rack or around the pump in front?

adampad
08-24-2012, 09:29 PM
I recently took this to some mechanics and they believe the pump is pumping to much. I think they are right. The steering feel is way too light.

Audi A4 Quattro (2004 B6 3.0) - Power Steering problem - YouTube

Is there a check valve or something? Is the power steering pressure electronically controlled? Anything I can check/adjust with a VAG-COM?

maxim_s45
08-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Sorry, other than replacing gaskets in the pump, no experience. Found this thread VWVortex.com - Power Steering issue (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5051953-Power-Steering-issue&p=68259375) which mentions 8E0-422-529. I also know there is a filter in the liquid tank which if not in place allows this bubbling.

Audi$pit
09-06-2012, 07:55 AM
I dont know if this is related to your problem. But I had a similar problem with my 03 a4 3.0 and it was air getting in the system from one of the factory crimp type clamps. Somewhere on this forum I found the repair proceedure with videos and it took 5 minutes and a new worm clamp to repair my problem. I hope this helps.