Audi A4 convertible [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Audi A4 convertible

fmontazeme
03-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Yo guys can somebody help I need to fix my car overheating , timing belt change, head job. I need help you all!!!!

mullardel34
03-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Your Audi A4 convertible is the stereotypical over-engineered German vehicle --- almost no fault can be corrected by simply replacing a fuse... :D

The electric windows, central-locking facilities and a host of other functions are controlled by the CCM (Convenience Control Module), which uses an array of feedback sensors to determine the position of the windows. If there's a fault in window operation, it's entirely likely that the on-board computer (ECU) has logged a fault-code, which could be useful in determine what's wrong. Do you have a VAG.COM diagnostic tool? If not, most of the major US auto-parts stores (AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc.) have a generic OBD-II code-scanner, which they will use to pull fault-codes for free. Post any fault-codes to the forum and we can better help you diagnose the window problem you're experiencing.

Good luck!:cool:

fmontazeme
03-09-2012, 09:44 AM
I have Audi A4 convertible with V6 engine with 20,000 which i recently purchased in car auction and I am becoming very disappointing with the Audi engine layout which allows hardly any room to easily work on the engine compartment. as a weekend 5 mechanic Audi A4 making troubleshooting and replacing parts very complicated.

mullardel34
03-09-2012, 10:17 AM
OK, with regards to overheating in the Audi A4 and the operation of the electric cooling fans, the very first step is to verify that the car is indeed overheating. Open the hood and check the coolant lines with your hand (or an IR temperature sensor). Do look at the coolant level in the expansion resevoir; overheating causes the coolant tank to boil over and lose coolant. Feel the radiator (or check with an IR temperature sensor), if the radiator feels cold, then the thermostat is stuck closed and needs to be replaced. If the radiator is warm (but not hot) and the hoses feel hot as hell going into the radiator, then your car probably have a failed water-pump. These failures both happen around the 60-80k mark. Replace the timing-belt, water-pump, thermostat etc. and you won't have any more problems.

Now, if your car's coolant is actually circulating through the radiator and the thermostat is operating nominally, the next thing to troubleshoot would be the radiator cooling fan system. The two key components are the radiator temperature sensor (which is used to regulate the radiator cooling fans) and the fan control module (which uses the signals from the various temperature sensors to determine if cooling fan operation is needed and controls the relays that energize the cooling fans.

See where these notes lead and let us know if you're able to reach any conclusions.

Good luck! :cool:

fmontazeme
03-09-2012, 11:10 AM
New I thing as you suggested I have to look for faulty Radiator temp. sensor of the fan control module or could this be a head gasket problem. I see oil leak under the car but no sign of antifreeze.

mullardel34
03-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Glad to hear that your thermostat appears to be opening and that the water-pump seems to be circulating coolant. The temperature sensor's a fairly inexpensive component ($25-$30), so it's often easier to simply replace it rather than try to troublshoot it's output signals. You didn't state which engine (1.8L turbo-engine or 3.0L 30V V6) or drivetrain (Quattro or FrontTrak). Here's a link to show you the 1.8L engine's coolant sensor location:

:: a4mods.com :: - The Premiere Audi A4 Modification Guide and Pictures Library (http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/ECTsensor.html)

fmontazeme
03-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Dude, do you think I should change the timing belt water pump and thermostat, and fix the rest of the items myself or asked your wife to do it for me?

mullardel34
03-09-2012, 02:54 PM
A lot of used Audi's end up being sold as the major service intervals are approached. So, it's not surprising to hear that there's a bit of overdue maintenance needed by your vehicle. My wife and I located our pair of A4's about three years ago (it sounds like they were in a bit better initial condition...) and it took about $4K/car to refurbish the mechanical systems to a solid state of performance and reliability (plus about $2K/car at the body shop to correct some cosmetic issues); we worked collaboratively with a really great independent German-car service facility (Indianapolis Auto Repair for Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Volkswagen, Volvo, Saab :: Euro Motorworks (http://www.euromotorworks.com/)) to map-out the repairs to head-off any upcoming problems as well as make our cars run like new cars. The end-result is that our pair of A4's look like and run like new cars; it's quite fun --- no one ever correctly guesses how old they are or how many miles are on their odometers... :D

You need to define the mission statement for your Audi A4; what level of performance, appearance, reliability do you need to see presented by the car? How long do you plan to keep the car? Once you've defined the mission statement for your A4, you'll be in a better position to determine whether it would be personally worthwhile to refurbish your specific A4. As long as you're not trying to quickly turn the car for a fiscal profit, then if the car has a solid body, suspension, drivetrain, it's likely to be worthwhile to refurbish the car. If you're looking to make a small fortune from your used Audi, you need to start with a large fortune, then buy a used Audi... :D

fmontazeme
03-09-2012, 05:01 PM
I think I am going to ask you wife to fix my fing car

mullardel34
03-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Glad to lend a hand to a fellow traveler; that's why were all here on the forum... ;)

Well, I hate to tell you, but the location of the coolant temperature sensor on the 3.0L V6 is a real bastard; it's located between the rear of the engine and the firewall. You have to dissassemble a huge pile of engine components to even get at the damned thing. Here's a pictorial how-to on the procedure:

DIY: 3.0 G62 Green coolant temperature sensor (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/385541-DIY-3.0-G62-Green-coolant-temperature-sensor)

The retaining clip and the O-ring are easy to lose or miss, so please be careful. Note the photo where the author of the how-to "flips the bird" to the wretched location of the sensor, once he is able to expose the component! :D

fmontazeme
03-10-2012, 03:18 PM
I worked on many toy and model cars I think Audi is the most labor intensive of all basically is because there is no room in the engine compartment everything is crammed in a very small area. getting to the bolts in the back of the engine between enegine and firewall is a nightmare

mullardel34
03-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Frank,

There's no debt incurred, we just help each other here on the forum when we have useful information to share... :)

There are separate crankshaft position sensors on each of the cylinder banks of the 3.0L 30V V6; see the posted image below:

3.0 camshaft position sensor (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/436194-3-0-camshaft-position-sensor?p=6631586&viewfull=1#post6631586)

I would think it unlikely that both crankshaft position sensors would fail simultaneously (you're getting fault-codes from both engine banks of the V6). So, it's possible that it's a timing-belt-related timing error that's throwing the ECU fault-codes. As I recall, you're got the "timing-belt" service in your project queue, right? It's likely that once you've zero'ed-out the engine's timing as part of the "timing-belt" service (which, in addition to the timing-belt and the tensioner roller, usually includes a metal-impeller water-pump and an OEM thermostat (to make sure you will not have to open your engine's front-end again; might as well do it all when it's apart, right?) and usually includes replacement of the accessory drive-belt.), you'll have probably cleared the source of the "crankshaft position sensor" fault-codes. ;)

fmontazeme
03-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Hey Mullard,
I just learned that the Audi V6 is interference engine.

mullardel34
03-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Yes, the Audi engines are "interference" designs, in which the valves and pistons alternately occupy the same space within the cylinders. The timing-belt is the sole means of maintaining this synchronized dance of expensive-to-replace engine components; that's why maintaining the state of the timing-belt is such a criticial maintenance item for Audi owners.

Usually, if a car has experienced a timing-belt failure, the car will not run (slam-dancing the valves and pistons tends to make a pretty god-awful noise). Pulling the heads is the only means to positively assess the state of the engine's valve-train. It sounds like you're on a fairly deep-dive into Audi maintenance, so you really need to get a copy of the Bentley Service Manual (OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-Quattro-V6_30v/Maintenance/Manuals/ES6277/)); this manual will provide pictorial step-by-step procedures for all of the maintenance procedures for the 3.0L V6 (as well as the rest of your B6 A4).

The Audi-specific tools are available for purchase or rental from most of the forum sponsors.

fmontazeme
03-11-2012, 05:01 PM
today I opened up the front of the car and after two hours I discovered that this Fing car need lots of attention what do you suggest i should do?

mullardel34
03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Frank, you seem to be pretty agile with the wrenches; that will certainly be helpful in maintaining your A4 in a cost-effective manner... :D

I hope the service manual arrives soon; that will give you the guidelines and procedures to confirm/adjust the timing and ensure everything is as it should be. Certainly, there's peace-of-mind being able to visually confirm what's new and what's not in the front-end of your engine; very cool! I'm inclined to think that once you can tweak the timing-belt installation with the information from the service manual, your fault-codes will be resolved. If not, those crankshaft position sensors are much easier to access and replace.

Be aware that the 3.0L 30V V6 engine has variable-valve timing, so it's not simply a case of cam lobes pressing down on the valve stems; there's a lot of German engineering mixed into that technology soup. Your service manual will be able to advise on how to approach this part of the drive-train.

Good luck and enjoy the ride! :cool:

fmontazeme
03-12-2012, 09:25 AM
I have a feeling that this car is going to cost a lot to fix can you help me financially?

fmontazeme
03-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Please don't say no. I know you have the money,

mullardel34
03-15-2012, 05:21 AM
Yes, I'm a big fan of the DieselGeek PanzerPlate belly-pan for our B6 A4's! To keep a low hood profile, Audi really pushed a lot of mission-critical drivetrain components to the very bottom of the engine-bay, placing a number of somewhat fragile aluminum castings (such as the oil-pan) in the line-of-fire for road debris, rocks, ice-chunks, etc. The OEM belly-pan is made of plastic and is only intended to maintain the proper air-flow through the engine-bay (which is good for 2-3mpg at highway speeds) and benearth the front-end of the car. The OEM belly-pan is freqently shattered by road-debris strikes and is either completely absent or is just a collection of plastic shards held to the car by the quick-release Dzu fasteners. :D

The DieselGeek PanzerPlate belly-pan only costs about $20 more than the OEM belly-pan, but is virtually indestructible. It's so tough that DieselGeek doesn't even box it up for shipment; instead, they just slap on the shipping label and send it (the FedEx and UPS can't hurt it...). Here's the product link:

B6 or B7 Audi A4 Skid Plate (http://www.dieselgeek.com/B6_or_B7_Audi_A4_Skid_Plate_p/pp-b6b7.htm)

fmontazeme
03-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I may not want to buy the bellypan yet my car has lots of other issue I have to address first.

mullardel34
03-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Yes, there tend to be a lot of Audi-specific tools required for engine work; it's those dammed German engineers going off the deep end with their need for application-specific tools to precisely align the engine components... :D

Fortunately, many of the forum sponsors offer to rent the necessary tools at reasonable prices. For example, BlauParts offers a timing-belt tool kit for the 3.0L 30V V6 (Audi Tools - Audi Timing Belt Tools - Rental Kit (http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_timing_belt_tools/audi_timing_belt_tool_kits.shtml))

With the proper tools, it sounds like you'll be in a good position for returning your Audi to the road in the immediate future. ;)

fmontazeme
03-18-2012, 05:00 PM
I would rather buy my own tool and then when I'm true I would sell it in ebay. there are lots of issue with this Audi cars
Power Steering in Audi A4 with V6 engine is designed by idiots slit amount of air in the system would prevents the steering to rotate freely.

fmontazeme
03-29-2012, 06:50 AM
my Audi A4 missing in one cylinder