Audi A4 1.9TDI 130bhp - Lowering advice needed [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Audi A4 1.9TDI 130bhp - Lowering advice needed

Amz
12-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm finally a proud owner of an Audi A4 1.9TDI 130bhp :D, however I am not too keen on the Land Rover look that it carries lol, so I have ordered myself a set of FK AK coilovers from ebay. I understand these are the entry level coilovers but some people have given it good reviews.

Someone was telling me that once the coilovers are installed I will need to let it 'settle' before I consider lowering it to my desired height. Is this true? If so what height should I lower it to before it settles and after it settles?

Your advice is most appreciated :)

mullardel34
12-20-2011, 01:29 PM
\

Suspension settling time is fairly short in duration; just drive assertively around an office park, ensuring that you've tossed the car through a few hard corners. That should be all that's needed.

Ride height is a subjective thing, within reason. The default ride height of your car would be a good starting-point, but, since you didn't identify the model-year of your car, I don't think anyone will be able to give your the default ride height for your vehicle. :D

Adjusting ride-height will affect the suspension geometry, thereby altering the vehicle's handling characteristics. Lowering the ride height will lower the vehicle's center-of-gravity (a good thing, in general) up to a point. Go too far, and you'll start to seriously upset the suspension alignment (toe-in, caster, camber) settings. Drop the car too much and you won't have sufficient suspension travel range to be able to absorb bumps from surface irregularities as well; bottoming-out the suspension is an effective means of bending alloy wheels. :(

Installing the RS4 sway-bars would reduce the load-transfers from corner-to-corner when cornering, thereby reducing the amount of work the coil-overs would have to address. Be careful out there... :cool:

Amz
12-20-2011, 02:39 PM
\

Suspension settling time is fairly short in duration; just drive assertively around an office park, ensuring that you've tossed the car through a few hard corners. That should be all that's needed.

Ride height is a subjective thing, within reason. The default ride height of your car would be a good starting-point, but, since you didn't identify the model-year of your car, I don't think anyone will be able to give your the default ride height for your vehicle. :D

Adjusting ride-height will affect the suspension geometry, thereby altering the vehicle's handling characteristics. Lowering the ride height will lower the vehicle's center-of-gravity (a good thing, in general) up to a point. Go too far, and you'll start to seriously upset the suspension alignment (toe-in, caster, camber) settings. Drop the car too much and you won't have sufficient suspension travel range to be able to absorb bumps from surface irregularities as well; bottoming-out the suspension is an effective means of bending alloy wheels. :(

Installing the RS4 sway-bars would reduce the load-transfers from corner-to-corner when cornering, thereby reducing the amount of work the coil-overs would have to address. Be careful out there... :cool:

What would be the ideal ride height that I should opt for where I could maintain comfort but yet drop it low as possible? I don't want to cause any harm to my car because as it is I love it...but then again I can't really avoid the massive gap it has between the front tyres and the arches :lol:

I will try and upload the before and after pictures. I am not looking to do crazy mods on my car, however colour coding is a must for me.

Any advice welcome :)

Amz
12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Before: 6839

After: 6840

Amz
01-02-2012, 09:09 AM
I have fitted in my new coilovers and I must say it looks amazing after lowering it from what it looked like on stock suspensions :)
However I have a problem and wondering if anyone can guide me. My car now feels extremely bumpy, it has been a week since I have put them in and have driven about 400 miles since hence the springs have settled even lower. As of now it is sitting veryy low (almost no gap between the wheels and the arches), as much as it looks nice...it doesn't feel nice :(

Will raising the height get rid of the bumpiness? If so how much should I raise it by?

Btw it is the FK AK coilovers I opted for.

mullardel34
01-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Most coilover systems allow you to adjust shock-absorber "stiffness" independently from the ride-height. It sounds like your shock-absorber "stiffness" is set too far towards the stiff/non-compliant end of its adjustment range. Check the product manual for your coilover system to determine how to adjust the shock absorber settings separately from the ride-height.

mullardel34
01-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Uh-oh, I spotted a couple of vendor sites that state, "Each FK AK PRO Street Kit is designed to drop the vehicle from a 30mm to a maximum drop of 100mm. The damping rate is fixed and uprated by 30%.". So, apparently, the FK AK coil-over system doesn't allow you to independently adjust the shock-absorber damping rate. Guess you'll need to buy a kidney-protection belt... :(

Amz
01-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Most coilover systems allow you to adjust shock-absorber "stiffness" independently from the ride-height. It sounds like your shock-absorber "stiffness" is set too far towards the stiff/non-compliant end of its adjustment range. Check the product manual for your coilover system to determine how to adjust the shock absorber settings separately from the ride-height.

I don't think mine came with the instructions?
These are the ones I purchased:
FK AK STREET COILOVER SUSPENSION KIT AUDI A4 B5 95-00 SALOON/ESTATE EXC QUATTRO | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FK-AK-STREET-COILOVER-SUSPENSION-KIT-AUDI-A4-B5-95-00-SALOON-ESTATE-EXC-QUATTRO-/270836150198?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0f17afb6)

Any advice much appreciated.

mullardel34
01-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Since the FK AK coil-over system has a fixed damping rate on the shock-absorbers, it looks like the FK AK coil-over system is the wrong system for your car. While the FK AK coil-over system will allow you to adjust the ride-height, there's no means of altering the shock-absorber damping rate. Bummer, dude. :(

The only answer is to either tough-it-out with the non-adjustable damping or replace the coil-over system with one that allows you to independently adjust ride-height and shock-absorber damping. A popular choice for Audi B6-chassis A4's is the KW V3 coil-over system (Audi B6 A4 Quattro V6 30v > Suspension > Coilovers > KW > ES#2215253 KW V3 Series Coilover Kit - 35210030 (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-Quattro-V6_30v/Suspension/Coilovers/KW/ES2215253/)). Another fully-adjustable coil-over system for the Audi B6-chassis A4 is the Bilstein PSS9 coil-over system (Audi B6 A4 Quattro V6 30v > Suspension > Coilovers > Bilstein > ES#2500725 Bilstein PSS9 Suspension System - F4GM58859H4 (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-Quattro-V6_30v/Suspension/Coilovers/Bilstein/ES2500725/)).

Good luck! :cool:

Amz
01-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Since the FK AK coil-over system has a fixed damping rate on the shock-absorbers, it looks like the FK AK coil-over system is the wrong system for your car. While the FK AK coil-over system will allow you to adjust the ride-height, there's no means of altering the shock-absorber damping rate. Bummer, dude. :(

The only answer is to either tough-it-out with the non-adjustable damping or replace the coil-over system with one that allows you to independently adjust ride-height and shock-absorber damping. A popular choice for Audi B6-chassis A4's is the KW V3 coil-over system (Audi B6 A4 Quattro V6 30v > Suspension > Coilovers > KW > ES#2215253 KW V3 Series Coilover Kit - 35210030 (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-Quattro-V6_30v/Suspension/Coilovers/KW/ES2215253/)). Another fully-adjustable coil-over system for the Audi B6-chassis A4 is the Bilstein PSS9 coil-over system (Audi B6 A4 Quattro V6 30v > Suspension > Coilovers > Bilstein > ES#2500725 Bilstein PSS9 Suspension System - F4GM58859H4 (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-Quattro-V6_30v/Suspension/Coilovers/Bilstein/ES2500725/)).

Good luck! :cool:

Thank you mate for making me understand. I wish I knew from before.
If I was to raise the height then would it make any difference on the stiffness of the ride? Also would I be able to run the stock shock absorbers with these springs? Sorry about this I know I sound like a noob :(

mullardel34
01-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Sorry there isn't better news.

The on-line references says that the FK AK coil-over system has a fixed damping rate that is setup to be about 30% stiffer than the factory/OEM shock-absorbers; therefore, it wouldn't matter if you raised the FK coil-over system to the top of the ride-height settings, the shock-absorber damping rate would remain the at the 30% greater damping rate. Frankly, I've never heard of any coil-over system that didn't allow you to adjust the shock-absorber damping rates; I guess that product shortcoming may be the reason for the incredibly low price for this particular coil-over system. The bottom-line is that there's no means of adjusting the shock-absorbers included with the FK AK coil-over system. :(

You really shouldn't try to run the FK coil-over springs with the factory/OEM shock-absorbers; that would likely result in a severe mis-match between the spring-rates and the shock-absorber damping rates. The end-result could be a very unmanageable and potentially dangerous combination of handling characteristics. If the FK shock-absorbers are too stiff to tolerate, you'll need to either replace the FK coil-over system with a more capable coil-over system (one that allows you to independently adjust the ride-height and the damping rates) or restore the factory/OEM springs and shock-absorbers. :huh:

I really don't see that there are any other valid options; sorry... :confused:

TheSuspensionSource
01-20-2012, 01:35 PM
I recommend ST or KW coilovers for the Audi's.