Please someone help me!! [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Please someone help me!!

solidecho
11-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Hey everybody! I was offered this car after the owner brought it to a mechanic close by to where I work, I donít really know what happened. But what I heard was that it came here on a truck but it was driven into a parking spot close by, so he was just getting less power or something. Then it just stopped starting up for some reason after that, I donít even know if anyone even touched it.

Well now I got the car back in the house and I went out to check the car with my mom. I had her crank it while I was listening to see if I heard the fuel pump under the car by the passenger side rear wheel. After 2 times, my mom said she smelt something burning. I open the hood and I see a little bit of smoke simmer up by the right of an engine then go away (smoke only came out that one time, no smoke all the other times we tried). I went back to listening to the fuel pump and I thought I heard a little engine go on and for 1/4th of a second after my mom stopped turning the key.

I made a video of what I was just talking about right here:
1998 Audi A4 1.8T Wont Start - YouTube

Please it would mean the world to me if anyone were to give any suggestions on the problem and solution for this car.

Thank you.

vorsprung1238
11-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi,
Maybe this help for you. I had this situation before...car won't start...but no smoke like yours
First, please turn on your key, make sure the immo securities light is switch off. If the light can switch off, mean is your immo prob.
If the immo light off, then turn on key again, listen the fuel pump working sound from your dashboard area....if no sound....
Check fuel pump delay, and please check your fuel pump.
My car is the fuel pump delay prob. Hope this help.

solidecho
11-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Okay is there a way to check the timing belt without having to jack it up? I got a lot of scrap metal in my drive port and I still have to figure out how I'm going to get rid of it. And what exactly would I be looking for in a bad timing belt? Not spinning? Lateral movement? Missing teeth? Sorry I'm not too mechanically savvy so sometimes I have trouble understanding these things.

And the last time I tried starting the car, like I said in the description for the youtube video, my friend said he saw a big spark in the top right of the engine bay. Could this be a starter as well as timing belt kind of issue?

pixxypip
12-05-2011, 06:05 AM
smoke would of been the starter motor wouldnt try and crank it tomany times get it pluged in to a diagnostic computer cost around £50