I've got a lot of problems and questions concerning my 1996 Audi A4 Quattro. Help!? [Archive] - Audi Forums

: I've got a lot of problems and questions concerning my 1996 Audi A4 Quattro. Help!?

bcorey19
10-08-2011, 10:55 PM
So here it is, I purchased my first Audi in March. It is a red 1996 Audi A4 Quattro. I love the car; very nice inside and rides well. In the past week these following issues have randomly appeared out of the blue. :( 1: Random burning oil smell when getting on the gas (getting onto the highway, mostly at high speeds) 2: Burning smell coming from the vacuum pump in my trunk. I am guessing my power locks not working all of a sudden is an effect of this? Any ideas where to get a decently cheap vacuum box? 3: While the burning smell appeared, my turn signal lights were blinking on and off in unison randomly. Sometimes they would stay on the whole time I was driving and I couldn't signal at all. What could that be from? Very annoying. 4: My rear brakes are very rusted and recently started to make a loud grinding noise. I don't want to pay an arm and a freaking leg for new brakes but I guess that's inevitable huh? There's a few other things as well but I can fix them on my own. It just seems like everything breaks at once. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

bcorey19
10-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Nobody? Also, my antenna is completely missing and I have no clue how to replace it.

ReidSFX
10-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Nobody? Also, my antenna is completely missing and I have no clue how to replace it.

Did you look at the vacuum pump to see if it shorted and took the wires for the turnsignals with it? I would start there on that. As far as burning oil smell on heavy throttle I would look at your valve cover gaskets. Hope this helps somewhat.

97SaTxA4Quattro
10-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Not sure of the correlation between these two.....

blinking lights sounds like a wiring issue or that the relay behind the emergency flasher on the center dash is having some sort of issue. That relay controls both the emergency flashers and turn signals.

Hope that helps a little bit.

JoeScro
10-13-2011, 05:08 PM
in some older models of cars if you turn signal lights start to blink that might be sign that one of your headlights/brake lights was out. I would check that as far as the oil smell check to see if any oil is leaking from the cap or drain pan which might be gravity pull to the back of your car during driving on the highway. Check any local junkyard for a vacuum pump before buying one from the dealer. they can be expensive in older models.