My Automatic A4 [Archive] - Audi Forums

: My Automatic A4

DrewTricaso
10-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey guys i have a 02 a4 1.8t but its an automatic and it just dosnt have the power i want and seeing how its an automatic and im only 16 so i dont have a job that pays more than minimal wage any suggestions on how to improve speed and to get a mean look would be awsome. I already have some things for the car i just bought a borla catback and i have some h&r springs that are being put in this week. any help would be great.

mullardel34
10-03-2011, 06:38 AM
First things first; have you ensured that the maintenance fundamentals of your vehicle have been addressed? One of the keys of keeping your Audi alive-and-kicking is ensuring that your car's timing-belt is current and in good shape. Audi engines are "interference" designs, in which the valves and pistons alternately occupy the same space within the cylinders; the only thing keeping these expensive parts locked in their synchronized dance is the timing-belt. The timing-belt really needs to be replaced every 75K-miles/7-years, whichever comes first. Ignoring the timing-belt could quickly lead to the need for a new engine... :confused:

As to improving your vehicle's ability to accelerate, please note that Audi "left a lot on the table" in their OEM tuning of the 1.8L turbo-motor. Audi's OEM tuning targeted the delivery of a very flat torque curve, essentially hitting 170 lb/feet of torque at 2000 RPM and maintaining the torque through the rest of RPM range. However, this means a lot of potential performance was left untapped with the OEM tuning. The simplest means of accessing that additional performance is by re-flashing the ECU with an aftermarket ECU reprogramming.

APR is one of the more mature, well-sorted ECU re-flashes for the Audi 1.8L 20V turbo-motor, cranking engine-output up to 215 horsepower and 245 lb-ft. of torque with their "Stage 1" tuning. Here's the URL for the product:

APR Audi A4 B6 1.8T - APR ECU Upgrade (http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_8ea418t.html)

Further, APR offers the ability to overlay up to four engine programs within the ECU; (1) the factory/OEM programming, (2) programming optimized for 91 octane gas, (3) programming optimized for 93 octane gas and (4) "valet" mode, essentially denying the user access to any turbo boost. You can switch between the programs using the switches for the OEM cruise-control. Very cool. :cool:

DrewTricaso
10-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks man yea everything on the car is in good shape, And yea i thought about a chip but its a good amount of money. Its something i defiantly want to do but thanks for the info im just getting into leaning about cars so i good to get some info.