Question re: '03 A4 Avant I just bought... [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Question re: '03 A4 Avant I just bought...

Bruce19
09-26-2011, 07:58 AM
I am picking up an '03 A4 Avant today. It's my first Audi after a lifetime of BMW, Corvette, Lotus, Subaru and many other cars. I'm also a Ducati guy. Here's my question: this A4 has 115 K mi., is a 5 sp w/1.8 T motor and was purchased from an independent Audi (and exotics) dealer. They put a new timing belt on it and did the brakes. I'm assuming that means pads. I have a 60 day warranty (bumper to bumper) and am wondering if there are specific things I should check carefully in the warranty period. TIA

djlarroc
09-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Hey there, I'm new here as well, and I'm looking to buy a B6 also. I have noticed this forum doesnt have a lot of activity, so here's what I have read.

There are a lot of electrical problems. Window regulators, sensors, coil packs, etc. A relative of mine has a 2002 1.8t quattro. Beautiful car, and handles amazing, but he is constantly working on lil bugs here and there. Nothing really major he says, but annoying little nickle and diming. I'm still considering one and I think as long as the t-belt has been done, should be good.

Bruce19
09-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Hey there, I'm new here as well, and I'm looking to buy a B6 also. I have noticed this forum doesnt have a lot of activity, so here's what I have read.

There are a lot of electrical problems. Window regulators, sensors, coil packs, etc. A relative of mine has a 2002 1.8t quattro. Beautiful car, and handles amazing, but he is constantly working on lil bugs here and there. Nothing really major he says, but annoying little nickle and diming. I'm still considering one and I think as long as the t-belt has been done, should be good.

Thanks for the info. I've just driven mine for about an hour and I have to say I really like it. Everyone I've spoken to has told me to avoid the V6 motor. ( I know a lot of Audi aficionados) Apparently, it is a constant hassle to repair. The 1.8T is supposed to be really reliable as is the V8. But, my son just bought an S6 (wagon with V8) and, although he loves it, the gas consumption is serious. Fast as hell though.

As for this site....it's a bit disappointing as you said. I was wondering if anyone else was here. I'm on a Ducati motorcycle forum and my post would have gotten 20 replies in a couple hours. So, this surprised me. Where are you located btw?

djlarroc
09-26-2011, 03:13 PM
I am in Denver.. also coming from BMW, for last 10 years. E34, E39 and E36 M3. Amazing cars, and reliable, but I need something for winter.

Please let me know more about avoiding the 3.0 as that is exactly what I'm looking at. I've felt the 1.8T to be a bit underpowered and getting worse mpg than my E39 528i. I'm looking at buying a '03 A4 3.0 manual. 150k.

Bruce19
09-27-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm up here in Lebanon, CT so the AWD will be appreciated this winter. Personally, I know very little about Audi's in general but my friends (one of them was a VW/Audi mechanic for over 20 yrs.) tell me the V6 is not reliable and requires repair more often than either the 4 or 8. This is mostly about the older engines. I don't know what the newer engines are all about. To me "newer" is anything from about '07 on. Wish I could be more helpful. Maybe a search of "Audi V6 reliability" or some such would help. Good luck.

This is the 1.8T, 5 sp. I took home yesterday. Has 115K mi. and I got it with new timing belt and brakes for $8K. I really like it. Very clean.

djlarroc
09-29-2011, 05:01 PM
That is a great looking car! Congrats!

Well, the car I was looking at sold, so now, I'm still looking.

Drove a couple 1.8Ts and they just feel too underpowered. Maybe yours is in better shape.

Bruce19
09-30-2011, 03:34 AM
That is a great looking car! Congrats!

Well, the car I was looking at sold, so now, I'm still looking.

Drove a couple 1.8Ts and they just feel too underpowered. Maybe yours is in better shape.

I don't really have a frame of reference for the 1.8T but it seems OK to me. It's certainly not my Subaru or BMW's in terms of speed but it's more than competent and I have been really impressed with the solid feel of the car. I'm liking it a lot.