Need entirely new exhaust? Help [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Need entirely new exhaust? Help

velvet396
08-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Just had my 1999 a6 up on a lift at a family friend's (retired master mechanic, man's a mech. genius). I have a leak up by the flex joints off the header pipes.

Prognosis: replace the whole thing, front to back.

The exhaust is original with the car, 103k miles. A couple years ago the car had a "band-aid" section welded in to fix the flex leak, so that's not an option again.

I trust the opinion, so I'm going to do this. I need to get a parts list, and a place to get the parts. The stock exhaust is nearly silent...I wouldn't mind a slight improvement in sound, but I do not want a loud exhaust. For me I want the car as a cruiser, not a showy sports racer. But 100% the point is to pass PA state inspection and function properly.

I believe I can get the family friend to help install the exhaust, but he indicated the header bolts would be a pain and a half to get at...

I appreciate any help I can get from you all.

emezmer
09-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Are you 100% positive that the WHOLE exhaust needs to be replaced? That could get very costly, both for parts and the labor to do it. I would be very wary of doing the whole thing for one exhaust leak by the flex portion of the front pipe. Myself, personally, I would look to see check to find where exactly the leak is, and then figure out if there is enough good exhaust to cut it out and get new section welded in. A couple feet of pipe and a new flex section is way cheaper than a few grand for a whole new exhaust. If there is no good pipe to weld to, can you just replace just the one front pipe that has the leak?

Sorry to ramble, but I would think very hard about getting a second opinion if you're unable to diagnose this yourself.

ECS tuning is has a nicely laid out website that should make it easy to find all of the necessary parts and their costs.

Good luck!

mackr
09-08-2011, 04:39 AM
I agree with what emezwer wrote!
As for the improvement in sound, check Audi, street and racing exhaust systems (http://www.supersprint.com/en/prodst-5-1-1.aspx) I had a supersprint exhaust on my a6 and the sound was nice, not too loud, not too racey, not too quiet. Top notch quality and fit.