Steering wheel question. [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Steering wheel question.

gianton
08-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi,

Recently I have noticed with open the front windows a slight sound like a whistle when turning the steering wheel at low speeds i.e. when parking.

Is this something I should be worried about? I remember (I think) this wasn't happening before.

Any comments welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks.

maxim_s45
08-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Hi! Can be belt or may need power steering liquid replacement. Any drops?

gianton
08-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Hi! Can be belt or may need power steering liquid replacement. Any drops?

No drops or leaking. Is it better to have the power steering liquid replaced? I will do this first as the serpentine belt is hard to be changed.

Car has 139k kms on it BTW.

Thanks

gianton
08-20-2011, 04:21 AM
I forgot to mention that this noise is only hearable when the engine is warm, not happening when the engine is cold.

maxim_s45
08-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Liquid first sounds reasonable.

gianton
09-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Today I had the serpentine belt changed and also all tensioners were checked. The noise/"whistle" is not gone but is not so strong. The mechanic told me that if it won't dissapear after the belt change, then it might be the pumb of the hydraylic steering wheel.
Any other suggestions what to have checked?

gianton
09-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Today I had the steering wheel fluid changed with original from Audi full flashed. The noise/"whistle" again is not gone, it's there but not so strong. The mechanic told me that if it won't dissapear after the fluid change, then it might be the valve of the rack and pinion power steering. He also told me that the rack and pinion power steering is not repairable.
Any other suggestions what to have checked?

maxim_s45
09-14-2011, 08:46 AM
How long did you drive after the change? It might take few hours to get air out of the system.

gianton
09-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Not a lot, only 30 mins from the service to home. I will check it again in the next days, thanks.

gianton
09-17-2011, 05:49 AM
The noise seems to be going less strong after a couple of days after the oil change. :)
Hope it will be gone for good! :)