Audi 90 speedo [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Audi 90 speedo

Levoz
08-18-2011, 09:26 AM
I have the usual problem with my Audi 90 (2.3 5cyl 20 valve) speedo, ie that the odometer does not work because the little drive cog has a broken tooth. Having done a fair bit of internet research on this I failed to find a replacement cog (the one from southern electrics has only 15 teeth and mine has 20) and replaced it with a speedo from a 1993 2.8V6. Everything works fine except that the speedo (and the odometer) read approx 10% optimistic. I presume this is because the sensor is different in the 2.8V6.
Can I solder a resistor in before the speedo and odometer motor to reduce the current/voltage and therefore make the thing read slightly less optimistically?
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

maxim_s45
08-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Hey! Why don't you get the odometer part out of a used cluster?

pup37
08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
that may work but if your going top go that far i would use a potentiometer. that way you dont have to find the exact resistance, you can make it adjustable. this will also help if you plan on running differen size tires and wheels in the future.

evo1couperacing
09-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I would just find a used cluster all together. Search the internet...they can had pretty cheap from people parting these old relics out. Good luck!