Rear light cluster removal [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Rear light cluster removal

mabboz
07-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Trying to change the brake light bulb on 2003 A4 cabriolet but the bolt that holds the cluster in place in the boot is just spinning ie the captive nut in the lens unit is loose and spinning on the bolt. How do I remove the cluster?
Thanks

toka
08-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Trying to change the brake light bulb on 2003 A4 cabriolet but the bolt that holds the cluster in place in the boot is just spinning ie the captive nut in the lens unit is loose and spinning on the bolt. How do I remove the cluster?
Thanks

Are you certain it's spinning? I have just done my Avant and it felt like the nut was spinning but it wasn't. It was just very awkward.

Rather than allowing the screw to 'come out' away from the cluster, try pushing it towards the cluster whilst undoing it, and try gently pulling the cluster away. Dont forget to hold the cluster to stop it from falling!

Oh and be very careful with the screw once you have the cluster off, if it drops inside the panel you could be a very busy man for a while!

mabboz
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately I'm 100% sure it's spinning in the cluster,
The outside of the nut and hole that it fits in are obviously splined and a push fit and as I undo the screw I can feel/hear the two surfaces clicking over each other.
I have removed the other side just to confirm this is the case.
I've tried pushing the screw into the cluster and pulling the cluster away but both with no luck. I can't see a solution without damaging the cluster!

psycho sootie
11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
on the b6 saloon i remove the screw then pull off the light, there are two push fit fittings on the outside of the light.

psycho sootie
11-04-2011, 04:56 PM
the fittings are on the outside on the rear of the light cluster

Boy Scout
11-08-2011, 03:51 PM
have you tried having one person gently pull on the light as you turn the screw?