Anyone get a brake disk rattle? [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Anyone get a brake disk rattle?

awinn17
07-14-2011, 10:35 AM
I can't tell for sure, but over a bumpy road I get a rattle/jingle sound from what sounds like the left front. When I push the brake it will go away.

Jacked it up and kicked the tire hard and it made the noise. Took the wheel off and wiggled the disk up and down and it sounds similar. I don't really SEE a problem. The 4 bolts go through it, so it can't roll or slide. I might just try and shim it to tighten it up.

What do you think?

Thanks!

royemello
07-15-2011, 05:22 AM
disks dont "float". ck for a set screw or worn calpier bolts / loose pads.
anti squeal pads & glue should stop loose pads.
ck for worn holes thru rotors
something aint right

awinn17
07-15-2011, 06:36 AM
disks dont "float". ck for a set screw or worn calpier bolts / loose pads.
anti squeal pads & glue should stop loose pads.
ck for worn holes thru rotors
something aint right

I'll have the wheel off today doing sway bar links on both sides. I will take pictures of what I see and post them here, video if I can get a small enough one. It's kind of concerning to me since it seems to be getting a little louder...

Also I am going to check my strut mounts. I replaced those (trying to solve the rattle that I know now was the sway bars) not long ago. I'll check the top nuts for tightness.

Other than that the steering system is fine. No shivering, rattling, no looseness. Tie rod ends are all tight. It's bizarre. I'll get some pics & show ya what she looks like.

evo1couperacing
07-26-2011, 12:51 AM
What about the control arm bushings and possibly the caliper carrier bolts. Some people put anti sieze on these bolts and that's a huge no-no. Check those aswell.

awinn17
07-26-2011, 06:32 AM
What about the control arm bushings and possibly the caliper carrier bolts. Some people put anti sieze on these bolts and that's a huge no-no. Check those aswell.

I found out what it was.
I have recently (less than 15K miles) replaced the brake pads myself, so I wanted to check the caliper again. All was tight and satisfying to me (I use a small amount of blue locktite). What I did notice, however, was that a pad spring clip had hopped out of place. I took the caliper pad holder loose, poked the spring clip back in, and the sound was gone. I guess it was letting the pad rattle up and down when i went over those roads. Surprising how much noise a little thing like that can make!

evo1couperacing
07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Glad you found the problem and an easy fix...good job!!