'90 80 Quattro Tranmission / Clutch Issue [Archive] - Audi Forums

: '90 80 Quattro Tranmission / Clutch Issue

80Quattro
06-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey everyone.

I have a 1990 80 Quattro with a big issue. I can't seem to get into any gear!

This is what happened: I was driving on the highway. The car was driving fine and shifting fine - no weird smells or slipping of the clutch (that I could tell). Anyways, I get on the off ramp, shift into neutral and slow to a stop. I depressed the clutch metal, shifting into first gear and went to accelerate only to find that I wasn't in gear, nor was I moving anywhere. Following that, I tried second, third, fourth, fifth (I was panicked) and finally reverse.

None of these gears would engage either. The thing that gets me is that the car was shifting and driving just fine without any clutch slippage or anything that seemed out of the ordinary.

Has anyone had this issue before? I did a search on 80 Quattro transmissions but didn't see any similar threads on the first couple pages (maybe I didn't look hard enough?)

When I go to put it into gear, I can hear it go in and can feel the notch as I do so - it just doesn't seem to catch at all. In addition, I got under the car last night to see if it might have been a linkage issue (just in case) and found that I could move the linkage, etc.

I don't know if it would be a CV joint because they all seem to look OK, but I know that the ball joints were starting to go a little bit. I'm just at a loss.

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions?

evo1couperacing
07-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Welcome to the forums 80quattro...glad to have you aboard. Well time to pull the transmission. Sounds like the clutch slave cylinder went for a **** and exploded. Happened to my 1990 20v coupe the same way you explained your problem. The slave cylinder is cheap...the labour is not. Good luck bro...I feel your pain.:(