2002 Quattro Allroad Tranny leak [Archive] - Audi Forums

: 2002 Quattro Allroad Tranny leak

manny18
06-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Newbie first time post. I bought this car in excellent condition a month ago (108K miles)and started noticing burnt fluid smell inside the car but no puddles in the driveway. All the fluid checks ok with the exception that I can not of course check the trans fluid. Today was the first day that I took a hard turn and the trans went into neutral for about a second. I am assuming my fluid is real low as I am starting to notice less of that burnt smell. I do not want to drive it now. I now need to I guess hit an Audi parts shop tomorrow and get a couple of liters of trans fluid and a manual pump to get some fluid in it before I can take it to my local import guy who works on Audi Transmissions. Ok, I am scared @$#%less now cause I do not have $3K for a used tranny so whats the chances it could be the typical output shaft seal leak which looks like $350 or so according to some online estimates? Do I have a prayer that this did not do permanent damage?:crying:

Mattias
06-14-2011, 09:26 AM
I think you should be ok.. I would by a trans filter and trans pan gasket.. (I only ope that the leak isnt from the torque converter.. I may need a new seal if it leaks) Those years did have issue with the torque converter. make sure you use the audi trans fluid its expensive and I believe they take 4.3 liters make sure you put that amount in no less as if it doesnt have the right amount of fluid it wont shift ridght. (which is why its doint that now) Good luck!..

manny18
06-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks, I am now trying to add fluid and removed the 17MM fill plug but i cannot get the hose of my fluid pump into the pan I put my finger in the fill hole and do not feel the opening into the pan?? What am I missing?

manny18
06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
I found the hole leading into the pan and could barely pump one quart in without it running back out. I started the car and put it in drive for 30 seconds and got some more in but not much. How is it that the fill plug is almost level with the drain plug? If Audi and more and more manufacturers keep the dipstick to the engine for oil measurement but not see it important to do the same with the Trans? I'm an Engineer and do not get it.:confused:

Mattias
06-15-2011, 08:08 AM
to fill the trans you will need a flexible hose like a hook. the car has to be jacked up on all 4 wheels and level. the engine should be running. The reason for the shallow pan is that the fluid is in the hydralics of the trans. If it is not running while you do this you wont get that much fluid in. Even a half quart low th etrans wont shift well..

manny18
06-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Thank you Mattias, none of the "how to" sites say you keep the engine running while filling. Thanks again for your insight the added quart has made a difference and hopefully the leak fix won't bankrupt me!

manny18
06-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Just a follow up.. I got my Allroad back today and could not believe my good luck for a change! My transmission fluid was leaking at the oil cooler behind the drivers side headlamp at the pipe going into the cooler so he replaced the o-ring.. $42.00!! He did state on the invoice that he can't be 100% sure the oil cooler itself isn't leaking after he cleaned it up but good news is that I did not smell ATF fluid on the ride home. Fingers crossed as he said total replacement cost for the oil cooler is $762.00.

bradford940
06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
2003 allroad: I have been having trouble with my tranny slipping in reverse. How do I know if its just low fluid or a torque converter issue?

Mattias
06-30-2011, 12:38 PM
I would probably change the fluid andfilter if it hasn't been done or at least check the level