Turn signal Problem with headlights on [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Turn signal Problem with headlights on

dbelcher
05-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Hi - new owner of a 1997 A6 Quattro. Bought it for my daughter to drive.

We are getting the red "bulb" indicator on the dash info panel.

Last night, I noticed that when the headlights were turned on and the turn indicator lever is turned for the left blinker, it gets a "solid" arrow indicator. If I do the same for the right blinker it worked fine and blinked.

So today, I replaced all the bulbs in the rear trunk. Now when I turn on the headlights, both arrow indicator are solid.

Gee...anyone have any quick idea before I start trying to chase this down completely?

I did clean one connector on the reverse lights which was corroded badly. I think there are a couple bulbs out in the third tail light as well, which I haven't got to replace yet. I didn't notice any other lights out around the outside of the car.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Danny

jazmin
05-31-2011, 10:28 PM
The turn signal bulb socket is shorting out. Usually the ground rusts out. Possibly the headlight too, but prob just the turn signal. Happened to both of mine. Cut the wires as close to the socket as you can and bring to parts store to match up. They're readily available. Make sure you label the wires first, or you'll have to do some trial and error wiring. The right signal will still turn on when this happens, but the left signal stays on no matter what. Also, when the headlights are not on, the signals work fine with no problems.

dbelcher
06-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks. I checked both sockets and they seam clean. yes, a little grimy on the outside where the two wires go into teh socket plastic, but the insides are fine. I read on a nother post that it could be the turn signal flasher. the reason is that it draws a load when the headlights are on, so that's why it stays solid. have you heard this?