A 8 hesitation [Archive] - Audi Forums

: A 8 hesitation

brennanpersonal
04-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Since new my Q has had hesitation from a near stop condition. Almost stop at a stop sign and hit the gas and for a second nothing. Now getting much worse. Dealer says normal. I know he lies to me. Anyone have a fix? It is a 2001.

FlyTyinFool
04-06-2011, 09:06 PM
That said, let me try to explain what I think is happening, assuming there are no fault codes.

Keep in mind that this all takes place an a matter of a second, or near that. You're coming to a stop, the engine is in deceleration mode, and the transmission is also in deceleration mode, going down through the gears. At some point you decide you want to go again, and do not come to a complete stop. You press the gas pedal expecting to go, but nothing happens, so you (subconsciously perhaps) push a bit more. Then there is a stiff (possibly violent?) engagement as the engine and, more specifically, the transmission catch up to your request.

What happened was that you caught the transmission in the midst of a downshift, likely from 2nd gear to 1st, but this can also occur in the 3 to 2 downshift, however it's usually less noticeable. As you pushed the gas pedal you forced the computers and transmission to make a very sudden decision. "Do I grab 1st gear, or do I grab 2nd gear?" Now, because there was no immediate gratification to the push of the gas pedal, and you pressed it a bit further looking for a reaction, the message the computers and transmission received was, "GO YOU S.O.B.!" And, to accommodate your request, it grabbed whatever gear it could to quickly get you accelerating again, usually the lower gear (i.e. 1st).

I can actually duplicate this in any car with an automatic transmission, once I know where the shift points are. And so could you.

"So," you ask, "how can it be fixed?" Well, the "fix" involves a change in your driving behavior. I know you didn't want to hear that, but it's true. And, of course, your next statement is, "My old car didn't do that!" Well, actually it did, or at least it would have if you hadn't adjusted you driving style to accommodate that vehicle's shift pattern. Oh yes you did!

I look at it like this, everything I do with the gas and brake pedals is communicating information to the engine, transmission, and drive train by way of computers that are between me and the hardware. If I keep that in mind, I find myself far more sensitive to what is happening under the hood. Then me and my beautiful beast work together to get done what I want. And, we get along really well!

Again, this all assumes no error codes or broken components. I hope it helps.

brennanpersonal
04-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Thank you for your thoughtful response. I know what you speak of, however that is not the problem. There is no throttle response and no jerk. You are right about what is going on, but my car is dangerous to drive. There is something definitely wrong with it. I am wondering about the software. I hear other have had this issue and it was resolved with some kind of upgrade. I am over 60 years old and have had dozens of cars and we also have a Audi A 4 without this issue. As such I still am looking for a cure.
Anyone?

FlyTyinFool
04-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Bummer. I was hoping for the best...

Good luck.