bad bearing? wheel is hot and smells like it's burning! [Archive] - Audi Forums

: bad bearing? wheel is hot and smells like it's burning!

tauchen
04-04-2011, 05:58 PM
I drove for about 260 highway miles, and heard a whining/squeaking noise coming from driver's front wheel when going above 50mph. the whining gets higher in pitch when going around 70mphs. I first thought it;'s a wind noise coming from the side view mirror, but then realized it was only coming from left side, and not right, passenger’s side.

Upon arriving, smelled a burning smell coming from the same wheel and the rim was very hot to touch, while all other wheels were cool.

Also, car vibrates at 60-70mph, but I sort of brushed it off on wheels that need to be balanced and rotated.

There was no problems braking and the car did not swivel to any sides while breaking or driving.. could it be a bad bearing? and what are the consequences of driving like that until I get it fixed?

P.S.
this is 2001 A4 (2.8L) with 138K on it. I bought it at 118K and the previous owner said he has replaced a rear wheel bearing. Are these audi bearings prone to getting bad?

mickhelpaul
04-05-2011, 04:17 AM
i think Audi bearings are excellent and they performance is good.....

ECS Tuning-Audi
04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
B5's are notorious for eating wheel bearings.

We have replacements available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information. (?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audi-forums&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)
http://c1552172.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/990_x600.jpg (?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audi-forums&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)
Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

tauchen
04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
sent girlfriend to a mechanic and he told her that the front left caliper and a hose needs to be replaced.. anybody know a part number for it and where to get online?

ECS Tuning-Audi
04-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Brake line or caliper?

Jason

tauchen
04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Brake line or caliper?

Jason

he said to order caliper and a brake hose?? does this make any sense?

ECS Tuning-Audi
04-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm assuming by brake hose he means a brake line I can PM you with a quote on these parts if you're interested.

Jason

tauchen
04-05-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm assuming by brake hose he means a brake line I can PM you with a quote on these parts if you're interested.

Jason

Brake hydroilic hose

ECS Tuning-Audi
04-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Did they mention if it was rubber or steel?

Jason

tauchen
04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Did they mention if it was rubber or steel?

Jason

I assume it's rubber becasue he said that's what was causing the burning smell as it overheated.

He said the bearing is totally fine.

ECS Tuning-Audi
04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
What side do you need? Driver over passenger? Front or rear?

Jason