1999 A6 rear brake replacment,HELLLP!!!! [Archive] - Audi Forums

: 1999 A6 rear brake replacment,HELLLP!!!!

01audib5
03-05-2011, 10:21 AM
hey guys, so i was changing out the rear pads on my lil brothers a6. i was told that you can only use a special tool that turns the caliper piston back. well, i did all that....bout the lil tool, and rotated the piston a bunch of times(it turned perfectly,just like its suppose to) but it hasnt even moved an inch. i turned it 50x(i counted) and nothin happes. tried to turn it the other way and it doesnt spin move or budge at all. am i doin somthin wrong? a guy at autozone told me to jus use a c-clamp on it. please help me wit this

Horvath
03-05-2011, 10:25 AM
I have a 1997 A6 and I think the piston screws in as well.. To be honest, I am heading out the door right now to a rear brake job and let you know my results...

01audib5
03-05-2011, 10:42 AM
sweet man, keep me posted for sure. much appriciated

Horvath
03-05-2011, 02:06 PM
I just took mine apart and I have a big spot in the center of the piston for Big Allen wrench to turn the piston.
Do you know what size that allen wrench is? I am guessing like a 12 or 13 mm ?

01audib5
03-05-2011, 03:26 PM
well, i gave in and went out there to look at it (in the damn rain AARRRGGG) anywho, looked at my caliper piston and it had 2 slot llike indents across from each other. the cube tool i got had a similar pattern jus not the exact one. instead i took mmy needlenose vice grips andopened them enuff to fit the holes/indents, worked perfecctly. for some reason i had to rotate the piston to the left to extend it even more-then turned it left and it went rite in. backed it up just enuff to go back on, hella tight fit tho. maybe the caliper is jaccked

Horvath
03-06-2011, 07:13 AM
MIne are a bit different, but I know what you mean... Mine has a 10 or 11 mm hex (Allen) hole in the center of the piston.. But they do thread in I did it with plyers..

I think mine rear calipers are junk, because my rear brakes are not working at all....

chris2
05-22-2011, 05:13 PM
hey guys, so i was changing out the rear pads on my lil brothers a6. i was told that you can only use a special tool that turns the caliper piston back. well, i did all that....bout the lil tool, and rotated the piston a bunch of times(it turned perfectly,just like its suppose to) but it hasnt even moved an inch. i turned it 50x(i counted) and nothin happes. tried to turn it the other way and it doesnt spin move or budge at all. am i doin somthin wrong? a guy at autozone told me to jus use a c-clamp on it. please help me wit this

this is old but for somebody else a hint. measure the cylinder Outer Diameter and get a short piece of steel pipe and grind away the front of the pipe but two small tips has to be left to fit into the two slots in the piston. then push the pipe inwards while turning. you must aply high presure when pushing in and turn. cant remember left turn or rght turn. the pipe size might be +/-
1 1/4 inch waterpipe. i lost the one i made up so can not go measure it but hope this give an idea

chris2
05-22-2011, 05:51 PM
hope the braketool is attached. for rear A6 99 pads. open attachment