Audi Fuel pump question [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Audi Fuel pump question

ewingengr
01-10-2011, 08:49 AM
My fuel pump failed last week on my audi b5 1.8 T 2000. Mechanic replaced and car ran fine. Two days later car would not accelerate and had it towed in. Mechanic said intake came off which he blamed on engine backfire. I was not driving but son said there was no backfire. I think it is something the mechanic did while fixing original problem. Is he blowing smoke up my butt?
Thanks

garnetteyes
01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Sounds like the intake could have been loose. Is he suggesting the backfire blew the intake off? Or the jerks of the engine shook it off? (Too much of this sounds sounds ****ographic)

The intake being off would cause problems as the air is metered on the way in through the MAF sensor. How it came off is a mystery but it is unusual. Why would it be backfiring anyway with just a fuel pump problem?

ewingengr
01-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was not driving it but my son said there was no backfire. I just think it is supiscous that it occured two days after they replaced the pump, but I want to be careful of accusing them of screwing up with out some facts (or opinions based on knowledge of group). I just want some other opinions.

docurley
01-13-2011, 03:11 AM
It may not have been a back fire that caused the intake pipe to pop off loose clamp or weak or broken engine mounts could cause it but my guess if it came off at the air box the car would still run as you can unplug the MAF and the car will still run so I smell smoke.

garnetteyes
01-15-2011, 04:16 AM
I think unplugging the MAF is different to it staying plugged in and the intake coming off. When it's not plugged in the ECU will default to a mode. When it's still on with no air-flow the fuelling would be wrong.

I have heard of 1.8T not accelerating when the 'o' seal on the intake is not clamped down properly. Sounds to me like the mechanic didn't refit the airbox correctly