Blank dash! Please help! [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Blank dash! Please help!

jamesc76
11-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Hi just found your great site, and was hoping someone might be able to help me?
Just got a 1997 1.8 a3, whilst driving it back from where I bought it (about 40 miles) I noticed that the temp gauge went from 90 deg to 60 then climbed and fell I thought it was because I had the heaters on full, but since found post's to say this is a fault! This morning I have gone out to the car and although the engine runs fine and drives ok there is no rev counter, speedo, odometer (mileage) showing??? The indicator and handbrake light s still work but thats it?
Can anyone help??

Oh I have disconnected the battery to see if the ecu etc will loose any gremlins etc!

jamesc76
11-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Quick update I reconnected the battery after an hour and all the rec counter and mileage came up but after about 10 seconds it went out again?? Then when ign off I have mileage but once started its all goes blank and nothing is working on it again??? Dont know if leaving it disconnected longer would sort it?

maxim_s45
11-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi! I would take the cluster out and check the connectors. All should be locked. Is there the fuse for the dashboard?

jamesc76
11-21-2010, 04:00 PM
I have checked every fuse, and the fact that after an hour with the battery disconnected the dash did work for a few seconds. I have checked all the connections on the back and all ok, I have found a cheap second hand one on ebay so gonna try that when it gets here!