Timing Belt Service or NOT [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Timing Belt Service or NOT

auditwins
10-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Per Audi on the A4 2.0T the timing belt should be replaced at 105K on the clock.
This is a very costly service. $2500-3500
I have yet to speak to anyone that has had it done.
People I have spoken with have in excess of 136000 to 189000 miles and didn't even know it was recommended.
Is this a real requirement? or is the stealership just finding a way to make more cash?
Who has excess of 105000 miles and has not replaced the timing belts?
OR who has replaced the timing belt and why?

maxim_s45
10-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Cost of the engine rebuilt due to the broken belt is much more that the belt replacement cost. I would follow audi recommended intervals. If you do really want to save - get the kit and manual and replace the pump, belt and tensioner + other stuff from the manual yourself.

auditwins
10-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Maybe we can hear from some other A4 2.0T owners. Did they replace the timing belt or not. How many miles on the clock?

mullardel34
12-21-2010, 04:55 AM
Maybe we can hear from some other A4 2.0T owners. Did they replace the timing belt or not. How many miles on the clock?

Timing belt replacement is a perennial issue with all Audi engines (except the 4.2L V8; it uses roller chains -- good for the life of the engine -- instead of a timing-belt).

All Audi engines are "interference" designs in which the pistons and valves alternately occupy the same space within the engine cylinders. The timing belt is the means by which all of these expensive components maintain their synchronized dance. If the timing-belt fails, your engine will be destroyed (start with a short block and reconstruct from there... :eek:).

You would be on "borrowed time" to exceed the recommended timing-belt replacement interval; don't go there... :cool: