Brake light reflection in rear view mirror. [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Brake light reflection in rear view mirror.

madelman99
10-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I have a question. When my brake lights go on, I can see a red glow in a rear view mirror which is coming from the center brake light located at the bottom of the rear window. During the day itís not really noticeable, but at night it gets really annoying. Am I missing something or is this a design flaw? I do not know if this is happening because my inferior is beige and as such does not block the light coming from the brake light as the dark interior would. Can anybody let me know if this happens to you? I drive 2006 A8L.

Thank you in advance for the reply.
:confused:

Najim4life
10-27-2010, 01:08 PM
I also have the same issue with the brake light as you described. I have a beige interior too; however it does not bother me that much. The problem could be as you mentioned "a design flaw". When I looked closer into the issue there is an 8mm gap between the housing of the light and the rear glass, this allows the light to reflect off the interior of the glass and results in a red glow around the whole housing. The effect is the same as having a shiny or reflective item on your dashboard and it reflecting in your windscreen. A possible way to eliminate this issue is to block off the gap. This could be done using beige coloured foam however it may not look nice. A better but more tedious solution would be to build a cover that would slip over the top of the existing enclosure and would block of the gaps at the sides. You could use 2mm Aluminium or Perspex covered in a beige fabric with Velcro to stick it down in case you want to remove it in future. Hope this helps.

madelman99
10-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Thank you for the reply, I suspected that it was a design flaw, but frankly am surprised that Audi overlooked something like this; after all this is their flagship sedan. Oh well, I guess I will have to figure out how to fix it. I have few Ideas and will also explore your suggestion. My biggest concern is to build something that would not make any noise and will not look out of place.
Thanks again…

mishar
11-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi. I've just fixed same problem. Plastic over brake light is transparent. Pry cover grille using flat screw driver and pull it to the front of vehicle. Carefully, wires are very short (German engineers are not perfect either). Unscrew light from grille (3 Phillips screws) and cover it with black tape. Put it back and enjoy.