Audi TT 1.8T -00 Quattro, original 224hp [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Audi TT 1.8T -00 Quattro, original 224hp

karkkola
09-07-2010, 03:02 AM
Hi,

I planning to purchase this car. What are the weak points of this? Generally, is it a reliable car?

H3NTA1
09-09-2010, 09:21 PM
def a fun car to drive around with. gud mpg, small yet spacey, great tight parking spots...haha. and def not your avrg looking car out in the street. but beware: if you get a manuel transmision,the tranny likes to go out faster then usual. people had some issues w/ there gas gauge(reading improperly) and also make sure you get paerwork regarding that the waterpump and timing belt has been changed, cuz once they go out, your but is stranded wherever you are : { As long as you do your proper maintenence(In time), you'll be golden..... Hope this helps.
shoot me a pm for more info, cuz not to many people talk in this part of the forum

jamiesonmurray
09-10-2010, 12:32 AM
hi Karkkola,
my experiance is this,
i bought a "Y" reg 225hp TT and the next day! the oil pressure light came on and then the camshaft siezed in the cylinder head, ruining the whole head, you cant even get it refurbed, you have to buy another one
this was due to the filter gauze in the oil pump pick up pipe blocking with gunge,
this is never checked no matter what service history it has and is a very common fault with all 1.8t 20v engines, anything from 60
so my advice is, take the covers off the engine and look for "witness marks" ie does it look like the bolts / clips / pipework ect around the cylinder head have been disturbed, this means the head has been off, not a deal breaker, but the price must reflect this,

if it all looks original, and you buy it, get the gauze cleaned out,
this involves removing the sump and will take a garage about 2 hours, but will potentially save you a 2k garage bill if the oil pressure goes in the middle of nowhere, or you can do it yourself if you are handy with the spanners

oh and ask about if the waterpump has been replaced, these are a source of falure and can snap the timing belt if it goes

westv
09-13-2010, 12:06 AM
call audi USA with the vin # and ask if the recalls have been done timing chain recall, instrument cluster recall and also ask where the car was first sold and there phone number in case you need to get the radio code numbers,

BUT #1 ask if the wishbone control arms were changed out (Audi USA) if not check to see what numbers are on them if 151/152 marked on the wishbone/control arms if this is what is there do not look excited but you should be as those babies are worth money $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Audi USA can also tell you what options were on the car at time of assembly line they may not be able to tell you what was added at port but usually nothing.