Considering buying an Allroad [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Considering buying an Allroad

Rosader
08-30-2010, 04:17 PM
I currently drive a 03 Nissan Maxima SE 6MT and while it has plenty of power and a blast to drive I'm considering selling it to get an Allroad for a few reasons. First is here in Utah we get alot of snow in the winter and the past 2 winters with only FWD has been scary at times so I want AWD. Second, I like the hatchback for hauling camping gear etc. Lastly It just seems like a very nice car all around. I am looking some 02's with mileage ranging from 70k to 100k

A few questions I have before I decide are 1. Are these cars reliable? 2. Are there any common problems with these cars I should be aware of? 3. What should I look for when test driving? 4. With 70k - 100k miles what maintenance should I expect the previous owner to have already performed so that I can ask the right questions and so I'm not buying a car and then putting hundreds of dollars into maintenance that should have already been done? Thanks

craigchall
10-23-2010, 07:41 PM
I currently drive a 03 Nissan Maxima SE 6MT and while it has plenty of power and a blast to drive I'm considering selling it to get an Allroad for a few reasons. First is here in Utah we get alot of snow in the winter and the past 2 winters with only FWD has been scary at times so I want AWD. Second, I like the hatchback for hauling camping gear etc. Lastly It just seems like a very nice car all around. I am looking some 02's with mileage ranging from 70k to 100k

A few questions I have before I decide are 1. Are these cars reliable? 2. Are there any common problems with these cars I should be aware of? 3. What should I look for when test driving? 4. With 70k - 100k miles what maintenance should I expect the previous owner to have already performed so that I can ask the right questions and so I'm not buying a car and then putting hundreds of dollars into maintenance that should have already been done? Thanks
Allroad is an awesome machine to drive. Handles and corners well do to quattro AWD and wide track stance. I have a 2002 with 123K miles. If you are not a mechanical guy that can do your own repairs...look elsewhere. These are the typical issues that occur for the Allroad: Air suspension shocks wear out and leak. This is a job that takes some mechanical know how. Also...make sure timing belt has been replaced recently. This is a $1200 to $1600 job at a shop. (Majority of cost is labor). Finally: If the vehicle has been well maintained - Turbo system should last. This used to be a scary issue but you can now get after-market turbos for $1K each (X2). Remember...as I said earlier - these are great cars and wonderfully engineered. You will go broke if you need to take it to a shop for maintenance. Hope this helps. Regards... (Audi Enthusiast)

FlatBlack
10-24-2010, 02:18 AM
I agree with the first response- I'm new with mine and only thing I really don't like is my fault- I bought one based on the appearance and the drive, and neglected to check options. Was really impressed with it, so must have gone blind for a minute while I was writing the check.

I'm using it in Latvia- the former USSR- I'm an American living between Spain, Portugal, and here, and we had the first snow 2 days ago, was awesome, and I was in a BMW 525TDS Touring (wagon) which was great, but no comparison to this. I'm a 4X4 guy- have 2 F350's with Crew Cabs, long beds, 7.3TD, and one has 36" tires, so I'm used to that type ride- this is incredible in comparison, and its manageable in the snow and ice much more than my big heavy trucks.

If I keep this one, which depends on a few things, or I get a better optioned one, I'll change all the shocks to those CNC'd Arnotts and put a new compressor in it and have an extra on the shelf waiting for the first one to break. The Arnott stuff looks really good and sounds like people have had good experiences with them.

Good luck if you buy it. Worth taking to the dealer and getting a complete diagnostic on their factory issued software.