help with nav problems [Archive] - Audi Forums

: help with nav problems

Kelly A6 4.2
08-18-2010, 10:16 AM
2005 A6 4.2

Nav stopped working on a long trip.
Took it to Audi who said antenna had a short in it. Not being able to quote a price and being Audi I decided no way.
I took the head liner apart, found the antenna cable was Open not shorted and replaced it.
Nav still isn't working. You can operate it just fine but it won't navigate. In other words it will tell me my work is 1400 hundred miles from my house. Shows me in NM somewhere. I am in TN.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions. I want my nav back.

Question: Does anyone know what the little box is the antenna cable is plugged into under the roof liner? Can that be bad and be replaced?

gazmill
08-19-2010, 06:50 AM
I have a 2005 A6 avant 2.7 also with nav problem, keep getting 'check nav disc' I have replaced it and still the same (works intermittantly). Vagcom says 'data carrier fault' and sometimes TMC has a line through it on the display. Sorry I can't help with your fault but maybe someone on here can help us both.

gazmill
08-19-2010, 06:52 AM
I also noticed 'open circuit' on radio antenna via Vagcom and found someone has added an external IGN 12v supply to the amp, maybe this is related?

Kelly A6 4.2
08-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Well...update anyway.
The problem is looking like it's the fin on top. I have my 5 volts (assuming that's correct) out of my antenna wire. So it's after that which only leaves the fin or connection to it.

Does anyone know how to get that off?

roadrune
08-19-2010, 12:42 PM
gazmill: If i am not mistaken, "open circuit" means a fault with the fibre optics, which makes me suspect it's the fibre to your DVD-player which are faulty...

On the other hand, nothing MMI related will work if the fibre is broken...

Kelly: The aerial is fitted with a single nut from the inside, if that's what you ment, so you need to remove the roof-trim...

craigyb
08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Open circuit in this case has nothing to do with fiber optics, as it states it is in the antenna circuit. As you quite rightly state a fault on the fiber loop would stop the whole of the MMI working.

Each part of the system has it's own antennas, the GPS/GSM is seperate from the Radio/TV/DAB antennas. So the "open circuit" on the radio system would not affect GPS reception.

Kelly A6 4.2
08-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Yes Road, that is what I meant. Thank you.

I'm afraid of the answer to this next question.
Where could I get a replacement?
Please don't say dealer only.

roadrune
08-19-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't know, but my guess is that there's only genuine Audi available, but there are a lot of different shops selling OEM-parts outside dealers...

I think i can find the part number for you, but then i need to know if you have a telephone (bluetooth or ordinary HF) and if it's an avant, for some reason there are different types for saloon and avant....

Kelly A6 4.2
08-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Thank you again sir for your help.

It's a 2005.5 Sedan. It's not an avant or saloon.
I don't have a telephone in it.
I don't know what other info you might need.

Is there something in it that can go bad? This is all new to me.

Kelly A6 4.2
08-19-2010, 08:25 PM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m125/kelly-sonor/audifin.jpg

roadrune
08-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Then the parts number are: 8e5 919 889

It's not expencive at all, about $90 here in Norway where everything is expencive :)

I don't know if that's your problem, but for that price you might as well try a new one...

Ps: saloon=sedan.

Kelly A6 4.2
08-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Ps: saloon=sedan

Ha! Okay.
Thanks again.

Kelly A6 4.2
08-20-2010, 01:27 PM
I called my dealer here and he quoted 380 dollars and it would come primed.

Anybody have any ideas where else to look for one.

EDIT: This is the part number I was giving for my VIN number: 4F5035503HGRU

Found it at a parts place for 238 plus shipping. A little better but still ain't paying that. Would still have to be painted too.

roadrune
08-21-2010, 04:22 AM
Maybe Ebay?

You can use the one with GSM-antenna aswell :)

Edit: weird price... Maybe there's a different part's number for the US? Normally parts are about half the price in US compared to here...