Audi 100cs quits running while driving [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Audi 100cs quits running while driving

j3ffbrooks
04-29-2010, 01:21 PM
1992 Audi 100CS V6

Everyone once in a while my audi will just quit running while on the highway. I can turn the all the way off and then restart the car with no problem. It may happen twice on a long drive. The other day it did it again but this time it wouldn't start back up.

I've read through the other threads and found other people with the same problem but have not found a solution to this problem.

From what I've gathered the engine is getting no spark or fuel.

Things I've check out to be good:

Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Speed sensor
ignition module
fuel pump
coil pack
ECU(I have two and spare known to be good before)
fuses(all that I could find)
circuit breakers above ECU

No stored engine fault codes.

Is there some know failure that will cause this?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

maxim_s45
04-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi! Is it AAH? Cam sensor for some reason writes error only when it fails and the error magically disappears a minute after.

Did you check fuel pressure? I would also check fuel pump connector in the trunk.

j3ffbrooks
04-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi! Is it AAH? Cam sensor for some reason writes error only when it fails and the error magically disappears a minute after.

Did you check fuel pressure? I would also check fuel pump connector in the trunk.

Yes, it is an AAH.

I didn't actually check pressure but I know the pump is working by cracking the line and fuel spewing out.

I did get around to do more hunting around on the car yesterday. I didn't bother to actually check the cam sensor because this problem has persisted on a previous sensor and hence have replaced it with a new one. Well, when I pulled the sensor off the plastic was melted and the magnet was sitting on the bottom of the cam well.

Maybe I've had 2 bad sensors all this time with a catastrophic failure on the current unit.

Thanks for the insight.

Jeff