rpms, idle, gear switching threshold [Archive] - Audi Forums

: rpms, idle, gear switching threshold

maxim_s45
03-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi! This topic is for A4 2005.5 2.0 TFSI, avant, quattro, automatic (just basic, nothing like tiptronic).

I saw a lot of threads in B6/B7 forums like "engine vibrates at idle", "engine loud", etc. I thought others try to make their cars ideal... Now I now that error-free engine runs loud and vibrates (I moved from A6 to Camry 2010 silent!, then back to A4 2006 TFSI). I do not believe that TFSI ignition system may cause this. Here is my plan (I will keep posting my novice experiments):

1. Obvious things - check engine mounts, gear mounts (theoretically, on automatic gearing the engine may shake gearbox and if gearbox mount is broken - will relay to body). I am 99.99% this will be ok.

2. Check plugs, intake filter.

3. Get VagCOM + cable (any advices on specific model - will be great to hear!). I found CAN KKL on ebay with VagCom. Check engine errors, check injectors voltage with ELSA if voltage is too low.

4. Play with idle speed (obviously if you increase this, will add 100mg of fuel per hour and will remove shaking).

5. Play with thresholds (I hate this gearbox switching to 6th gear at 45!!! mph). Sports mode is too much for me - I need something in between D and S.

Thanks for reading :-). What do you think?

maxim_s45
04-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Tested engine + other controllers with Vagcom - no errors.

Increased idle rpm in engine adaptation - MUCH better. Vibrations almost gone, diesel sound still there.

maxim_s45
04-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Replaced PCV (Positive Crank Ventilation valve) to L edition. The old valve allowed air to go both directions (in the direction it is supposed to block - it was still allowing a bit). Changed seal as well. Not sure how the system should look like - quite dirty and there is a bit oil on pipes. Total cost 80$ including shipping + 8$ for torx tools + 10 minutes work.

This decreased the vibration by 15-20%. With increased idle RPM - almost acceptable, although after Camry 2010 still loud and shaky.

The next step - spark stuff (maintenance interval came anyway) + testing coils.

Btw, I could not find anything on coding the transmission. Only codes to disable DSP - Dynamic Shifting Points. Nothing like gearing points and rpm limits. If anyone knows - any info will be much appreciated.

maxim_s45
04-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Changed spark plugs.

Changed all 4 coils as a part of Audi recall - for free at dealer.

Checked all engine mounts, gearbox mounts - all were fine.

May be another -5% vibrations.

Runs as other A4 TFSI, so closing this issue for now.

I am still looking for any info on transmission control module coding or related.

peckwell
01-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Great post. I replaced the PCV (had it replaced by an Indy garage) after getting the dreaded idling issue.

I just had the timing belt done (105k miles), and since then, I've noticed the vibrations from the engine feel more pronounced when the trans is engaged (smoother at idle). The thing has never been "Camry smooth", but it seems worse. I've given it a few thousand miles, but the vibration persists.

Did you do anything to the belt, or look into that piece?

maxim_s45
01-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey! Thanks! No - I haven't done anything to the belt or timing.

Did it change in D only or does idle vibrates more as well? If idle is noticeable - who did the timing?

peckwell
01-17-2011, 09:53 PM
An indy shop nearby did the belt. The car is fine in P, pretty smooth for the 2005.5 2.0 (from what I've read); it's when it goes into D that the vibration kicks up a notch. The car has never been smooth, so it's hard to know if the vibration is worse. I think it is, but does not appear to be getting steadily worse.
I'm not diggin' the thought that it's a tranny issue...