1997 A6 Avant Rear Wiper and washer not working [Archive] - Audi Forums

: 1997 A6 Avant Rear Wiper and washer not working

moozak
01-15-2010, 02:13 AM
Hello, I have been trying to troubleshoot the rear wiper/washer in my '97 A6 Avant. So far, I have checked the fuses are OK. I checked the wires in the back hatch and there were about 4 or five that were showing exposed wire. None were severed however. I tested the wires that lead to the wiper motor and they are showing voltage at the exposed point. I have also noticed that the license plate lights (both) are out. I checked and both bulbs are blown, but there is voltage at the bulb housings when the headlights are on.

What is my next step? How do I check the relay, and which relay do I check? Is it time to pull the hatch trim and take a look at the rear wiper motor? Thanks for any replies that may be helpful. Is it strange that both the rear wiper and the wash spray both do not work? As a side note, I do not have the owner's manual, unfortunately. Thanks for any input and suggestions, they are much appreciated!

Jon
Surrey, BC
Canada

a8 tech
01-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Remove the tail gate trim and check supply at the motor firstly

moozak
01-16-2010, 04:32 PM
I am in the process of removing the tail gate trim and have removed the 4 screws (2 on the bottom, 2 on the sides). I understand that it is held in by clips as well and have detached the trim from 2 clips on both sides (one in each front corner and 2 near to the latch. The latch section is still holding on. Is it another clip in the latch section in the middle, or am I missing screws to remove? I don't want to damage the trim or latch, and just want to make sure I'm doing this properly. Thank you for any input,

Jon
Surrey, BC
Canada
1997 A6 Avant in Pearl white

a8 tech
01-17-2010, 01:48 AM
There are 6 screws for early shape a6/ audi 100 two outer 4 at the handle6091

moozak
01-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Thank you, A8 Tech. I do have all 6 screws out and the four front clips. I have also found the secret flaps but can't for the life of me release the remaining clips. Is there a trick or tool I'm missing? I feel I'm yanking and might break something soon!

a8 tech
01-17-2010, 04:20 AM
Use a long sturdy flat screw driver and gently ease away at the corners then give the trim a good lever to release the clips until at one corner you can pull down enough to see the rest of the clips.
Once you can see the clips use the long screw driver to reach in and apply leverage until they release.If in doubt just swear and pull lol

moozak
01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
So I've removed the trim, tested the motor and the motor works. The fuse is fine as well. (fuse #18, by trial and error) in the side panel fuse box. I've done some digging online, but have yet to find a relay position for the rear wiper. From my research, it looks like it is the J30 relay, but I don't know where to find that.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/ricoblanco/WasherPumpWiringdiagram-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's not in the relay panel under the steering wheel, as that had a listing on the inside of the interior panel. Can anyone tell me which relay this is (rear wiper) and where to find it? Cheers,

Jon

by the way I found this link very helpful for removing the rear hatch trim:
Tailgate trim Removal (Again) - AudiWorld Forums (http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2145508&highlight=rear+hatch+trim)

moozak
01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
I've tested the relay and it works. I think it's the wiper switch that is the problem. Are these difficult to replace?

Is the part for the Avant wiper switch different, or is it just the same part with the forward position wired for the rear wiper?

Jon
1997 A6 Avant

a8 tech
01-21-2010, 03:19 PM
what do you get at pin 3/53 at the motor when you operate the switch

moozak
01-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey A8 Tech, thanks for helping me with this, much appreciated. So... to answer your question, I get 0 volts at the 3/53 connector on the wiper motor (red and yellow) wire when the switch is activated. If I apply voltage to the yellow and green wire connector (under the steering wheel near the left foot) the rear wiper and wash both work!!! It works as it used to (intermittent wiping) and when voltage applied again it comes to a stop. I'm 95% sure it's the switch, unless there is a wiring issue between the wiper switch and the connector (pre-relay). Is there any way to try to clean the wiper switch without removing the steering wheel, or do I need to take off the wheel and disconnect the airbag and that routine...?

I think I'm getting closer. If it is a bad switch, is the wiper switch different on the avant, or is it the same part just with the forward position wired to the rear wiper? Can I wire a switch in one of the dummy switch positions (maybe next to the hazard switch) just to operate the rear wiper? I'd rather it work off of the original switch (forward position), but I'm not wanting to replace the switch if I don't have to.

Cheers,

Jon

a8 tech
01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Yes the switch is highly likely but the saloon differs from the avant due to the rear wash wipe action.You could remove and strip the switch to check the contacts