Help Help Help! [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Help Help Help!

divekyra
01-13-2010, 01:42 PM
I recently (December)did some preventive maintenance to my car. Due to time (2003 A6 Q.) and mileage (70K) I replaced the timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioner, water pump and whatever else little stuff takes for these things. In October I had the regular oil changes and all points checks etc and all was good, but according to maintenance schedule these were needed things to keep my car tip top.
A day after I got my car back it started whining. A couple days later the whining became more noticeable, almost sounded like a kid pretending to make car noises whenever I slowed down and sped up and particularly when I turned the wheel to either side; always after my car warms up a bit.
I went back to the mechanic and they said that there was air in my power steering fluid as observed by a few bubbles in the reservoir. They explained they had to "pinch" the line when taking things apart to replace the belts; that the air would work itself out.
It did not. It got ,louder and then noticeably harder to turn my wheel. By now the reservoir wasn't bubbling it was foaming.
I took it back. They said the fluid was dirty (A week before I had taken it to the Audi dealer for a recall on the fuel coil, got a free points check and all fluids were checked fine) and after a few days they told me that the Power steering pump is going bad.
MY QUESTION:
How possible is it that it is not due to faulty maintenance seeing as to how this coincidentaly happens a day after I get my car back?
I paid $1500 for the belts etc. Now it will be approx $700 for a new pump!!!
I need to know if I am being made a fool of... yes, I am a woman and know little about cars but the more I read on other forums the more I see comments on air in the power steering system and relation to the tensioner.
HELP please! I am not made of money!!!:eek: