Gear shifter/Brake pedal clunking [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Gear shifter/Brake pedal clunking

55cadillacking
11-20-2009, 01:55 AM
Having my first issue with my Q7 and the dealer here in Calgary, CAN is giving me the runaround. When the car is in neutral or park and I step on the brake to engage the shifter, I am getting a significant knock that can be heard and felt through the entire shifter. It is obviously the mechanism that releases the lock on the shifter but the guys at the dealer are trying to tell me it is normal and they refuse to do anything. It started last weekend. So, my question is, do any of you have this issue in your car? The noise occurs with every slight or normal touch of the brake pedal. No issue once the car is in Drive. Any input is appreciated.

LOP
11-21-2009, 09:29 AM
I have and have had the same issue with my 2004 Volvo XC90. It is normal or at least I was told that as well in 2003 when I purchased it and 6 years and 109,000 miles later it still does it and no problems seem to exist from it.

It is the safety release from when the brake pedal is depressed activating a relay from how it was explained to me. They can replace the relay, but it will reoccur. electronics, love 'em or leave 'em, but can't live without 'em:lol:

55cadillacking
03-17-2010, 11:47 PM
UPDATE: I had the dealer look into it. At first they told me it was normal, but we tried 3 other Q7's on the lot and they all made the same type of noise but to a much less extent so they agreed to order a new shifter mechanism. They didn't end up installing the entire shifter though. There is a white plastic piece that had broke so they only replaced it. I still feel a slight "clunk" when tapping the brake pedal to disengage the park "lock" but it is very slight now. I'm happy. I'm not happy I had to be quite insistent with the dealer though. Much better service at Cadillac.