Break Pads Replacement [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Break Pads Replacement

pcamaj
11-18-2009, 05:37 PM
hi everyone, soon i may have to replace my break pads on my 2005 A6 4.2 Sline. i was wondering, because i heard that replacing the rear pads can get complicated, can i just buy the pads and take the car anywhere to replace them or shall i take it to the dealer which it will cost me a leg probably . Also, any recommendations on the type of break pads, thanks

reinstone79
11-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I replaced the brake pads on the rear myself, and it was a pain in the rear. But that was only because I did not have the right tool to push the piston back. You can't use a simple C-clamp due to the parking brake and overall system configuration. Typically, you have to turn the piston back in. But in this case, you have to turn and push. Unless you have the right tool, its difficult to push them back all the way to put the new pads on. I don't know what to tell you about types of pads, but I would say any old semi-metallic would work. Ceramic is hard, and might wear your rotors faster. Organic are softer/brake better, but put out tons of dust and wear faster.

pcamaj
11-19-2009, 08:49 PM
THanks man i really appreciate it.... the reason i asked it that i heard a lots of stories that is fairly complicated.