Replacing rear brake pads - do you really need to use VAGCOM ? [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Replacing rear brake pads - do you really need to use VAGCOM ?

richdee
10-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi All

A mate of mine attempted to replace my worn rear pads (he is a qualified mech) managed to get the old pads out as per any "normal" car but you could not get the piston in the calipers to go back - quick call to Poole Audi who were really quick to help out said " you need to use the VAGCOM software to tell the piston to retract - is this true - do you really need to connect the car up to a computer to replace the rear brakes ? seems crazy to me.
Audi say it is due to the electric handbrake.

Any ideas anyone...

Thanks
Richard.

Badger61
10-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Yes it is true, however there are other tools on the market to retract the handbrake motors, this is required to push the pistons back fully. Thats Technology for you.

Gabriel Tang
10-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi All

A mate of mine attempted to replace my worn rear pads (he is a qualified mech) managed to get the old pads out as per any "normal" car but you could not get the piston in the calipers to go back - quick call to Poole Audi who were really quick to help out said " you need to use the VAGCOM software to tell the piston to retract - is this true - do you really need to connect the car up to a computer to replace the rear brakes ? seems crazy to me.
Audi say it is due to the electric handbrake.

Any ideas anyone...

Thanks
Richard.

Yes you really need VAG_COM or some other diag. tools to release the electric calipers. It is possible to do without, by removing the electric motor assemble and physically turning the locking screws to release the calipers, but his takes up more labour and risks.

richdee
11-06-2009, 01:21 PM
It has now come to light that my rear hand brake motors are past it and putting loads of errors up on the dash !
So it's booked into Audi for a look - has anyone else had a similar problem where the caliper motors have failed - the car is only 4 years old and I have seen posts that they corrode and there was a recall to cover this some time ago - I hope and pray that they will be covered until the extended warranty otherwise it's a grand bill and a very tight christmas.

Let me know - it's going in tomorrow.

Cheers
Richard.

Badger61
11-06-2009, 01:50 PM
I've never seen any failures since they first appeared 5 years ago. However I have seen some problems created by non Audi shops damaging calipers, pistons and motors.

richdee
11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
The problems have been resolved, ECU had lots of errors following a flat battery - funny though as the battery has never gone flat - all errors cleared and new rear pads fitted and it's as good as new - so not really sure what went wrong - the error did start one day when I stalled the car in traffic - restarted the car and up came the errors, managed to clear them with an engine restart - so happy that it's only cost me 180 today... cheaper than new calipers and motors

777lee777
11-13-2009, 04:38 PM
So I'm about ready to tackle new brakes for my 2007 A6 Avant... then I see this thread on the rear parking break motors making it difficult to push back piston in caliber. Who has successfully replaced rear brakes on their own and how did you get piston back in?

Gabriel Tang
11-15-2009, 08:24 PM
So I'm about ready to tackle new brakes for my 2007 A6 Avant... then I see this thread on the rear parking break motors making it difficult to push back piston in caliber. Who has successfully replaced rear brakes on their own and how did you get piston back in?

Yes you ca, do it on your own in your garage, without any PC.

Release to electric handbrake
when jacking up the car, make sure you have stoppers to prevent car fm moving
and use a stand
Remove the calipers
use, hex tool and remove two screws mounting the motor to the calipers. on the caliper where the motor centre pinon is fitted to, physically turn the the centre female gear with a suitable tool, to retract the calipers,(note the caliper piston will not retract, you need to push it, dont use force) I cant remember which way to turn, clockwise or anti clockwise. The caliper psiton will clamp if you turn the wrong way, make sure you have the caliper on the disc rotor, otherwise the piston will pop out in case wrong direction, once you have retract the screw, you can easily push back the piston, remove calipers and replace to brake pads, do same for both side and install back the motor and screws.
Never use excessive force on caliper piston and motor to avoid damaging it. Please also note that this is not the proper way and there is risk of damaging the parking brake system, unless you know exactly what you are doing, using a Ross-tech Vag Com is much easier and you also need adaptation after replacing the brakes