1.8T Quattro fan issue on startup [Archive] - Audi Forums

: 1.8T Quattro fan issue on startup

jst99
09-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Guys,

I have had my A3 1.8T Quattro for the last year or so and one thing that has always bugged me is when I start it from cold for the first 30 - 45 seconds the fans run at full speed and then slow down but carry on running - is this normal?? The temperature gauge normally sites at between 85 - 90 once it has warmed up........its one of those small things that don't seem to be effecting the performance but wonder why it does it?

Hopefully someone can tell me - I suspect its down to emissions, I know on a vauxhall I had once it did something similar.

I am contemplating selling it soon so would like to know in case anyone asks.

Many thanks

jst99

ClubsportA3
10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Need to get it on a computer VAG-COM. Does it have electronic air conditioning ?

jst99
10-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Yeah it has electronic climate control - I have VAGCOM and its showing no faults

ClubsportA3
10-06-2009, 03:10 AM
Check the fuse box on top of the battery for signs of overheating. Pull the first "left" green 30a blade fuse check if its melted/corroision.

ClubsportA3
10-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Quick search found others with same problem either being the temperature sender or the complete new fan housing that will need reprogrammed :(

jst99
10-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Oh bugger lol - not the answer I was hoping for - car is running fine at the moment so will re vagcom it in the next few days just to see if there is anything new being logged. Thanks for all your replies ClubSportA3

A3Lee
10-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Its normal.It is the Climate control system.Was changing the thermostat yesterday, and noticed the fan kept coming on for 'no' reason.So i turned the climate contro off,and fan went off.Sorted :cool:

jst99
10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Have just done a full vag com scan again today with no errors and yes with the climate control off the fans don't run so no problem after all

jst99

A3Lee
10-08-2009, 10:57 AM
jst99,out of curiousity what power output is your quattro,and how do you find the handling and acceleration?Im only asking because im thinking of getting one with low mileage(180 bhp).thanks

jst99
10-08-2009, 12:06 PM
jst99,out of curiousity what power output is your quattro,and how do you find the handling and acceleration?Im only asking because im thinking of getting one with low mileage(180 bhp).thanks

Hey Lee,

Mine is a 2001 180bhp 6 speed 1.8 Turbo Sport Quattro, it handles really really well - it's always had 18's on it since
I bought it so not sure if that improves or impairs the handling - performance wise, yeah it's good - very rare you'll ever get taken at the lights but some people say the 2-wheel drive feels faster as the 4 wheel drive and extra weight swallows the extra bhp. Shame your after a low mileage one as mine is up for sale, but it's done 101K

A3Lee
10-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Hey Lee,

Mine is a 2001 180bhp 6 speed 1.8 Turbo Sport Quattro, it handles really really well - it's always had 18's on it since
I bought it so not sure if that improves or impairs the handling - performance wise, yeah it's good - very rare you'll ever get taken at the lights but some people say the 2-wheel drive feels faster as the 4 wheel drive and extra weight swallows the extra bhp. Shame your after a low mileage one as mine is up for sale, but it's done 101K

How much is yours up for then? Was looking at replacing mine next year though.Is it on ebay/autotrader?

jst99
10-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Its on autotrader here (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200941343195845/sort/priceasc/search-target/usedcars/make/audi/model/a3/page/1/quicksearch/true/radius/10/postcode/ta116sb?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Fusedcars%2F postcode%2Fta116sb%2Fradius%2F10%2Fmake%2Faudi%2Fm odel%2Fa3%2Fpage%2F1%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc%2Fquicksear ch%2Ftrue&anchor=advert200941343195845&logcode=p)

A3Lee
10-09-2009, 02:39 AM
Never seen a quattro in that colour before,looks nice and tidy. Why you selling it?Not for a VW i hope ;)

jst99
10-09-2009, 03:59 AM
No m8 its a very rare colour, have seen one other A3 in it and a couple of A4's - I'm in mixed minds now to whether I am going to sell it or not, I really want a Scooby but have spent so much fixing all the small bits on the Audi I know I wont ever get that back (window clip, door lock switch etc) - have had loads of interest in it but every time I drive it I get a massive smile on my face - the build quality of the audi is so good, think anything other will be a disappointment

A3Lee
10-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Yeah,i like the idea of a scooby too,but its just the maintenance costs that put me off.My mate had one,cost him a fortune.My previous car was a Alfa Romeo GTV, and that cost me quite a bit which is why i bought my A3.I do miss the GTV though,daily. Have you not considered re-maping it?You could get around 215 Bhp no probs for a few hundred quid.Im thinking of re-maping mine to around 195 Bhp.

jst99
10-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Yeah I did look into a superchip for it but worry that a motor that's covered 100K would soon give up the ghost if I pushed an extra 35-40bhp out of it.......I may just get an S3 roof spoiler and get a stainless system put on it as I miss having a boy racer exhaust - I'll grow up one day lol

A3Lee
10-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Asholo,if someone wanted a new radio,we'd ask.Get a life you jockey. Sorry,cant stand these twats doing that. With regards to another 35-40 bhp,dont think you'd have anything to worry about with that as long as the car has had regular oil changes the VAG engine will be in bloody good nick even with 100k.If your worried about that,do a compression test(or ask the garage) to determine the engine wear.And you said you have vag com and showed no faults,the engine sensors would indicate some issues if it was on the worn side mate.I want another 'shouty' car,as when i had the Alfa everyone loved to look at the car,now people dont even look up :( Re-map,alloys and exhaust required me thinks :D

jst99
10-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Sure a mod will remove the posts as soon as they see them - but yeah think I might follow that route too - just taken it off autotrader so will go and get a price for a powerflow system as have had those on other cars and have always sounded nice - then when budget allows may bite the bullet and get it remapped :)

As we have gone a bit off topic think we should close this thread down before admin do it for us - hope you have fun with your A3 Lee

Just reported the threads so hopefully they will be removed soon followed by a swift ban for him hehe

A3Lee
10-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Sure a mod will remove the posts as soon as they see them - but yeah think I might follow that route too - just taken it off autotrader so will go and get a price for a powerflow system as have had those on other cars and have always sounded nice - then when budget allows may bite the bullet and get it remapped :)

As we have gone a bit off topic think we should close this thread down before admin do it for us - hope you have fun with your A3 Lee

Just reported the threads so hopefully they will be removed soon followed by a swift ban for him hehe

LOL,yeah ok.If you do look at getting a re-map,give me a shout.Maybe get a discount for 2 maps :) Good luck

ClubsportA3
10-10-2009, 03:36 AM
No m8 its a very rare colour, have seen one other A3 in it and a couple of A4's - I'm in mixed minds now to whether I am going to sell it or not, I really want a Scooby but have spent so much fixing all the small bits on the Audi I know I wont ever get that back (window clip, door lock switch etc) - have had loads of interest in it but every time I drive it I get a massive smile on my face - the build quality of the audi is so good, think anything other will be a disappointment

What colour is it ? :confused:

ClubsportA3
10-10-2009, 03:38 AM
LOL,yeah ok.If you do look at getting a re-map,give me a shout.Maybe get a discount for 2 maps :) Good luck

Revo Technik | ECU Remap | Engine Management Software| Audi Porsche Seat Skoda Volkswagen VAG (http://www.revotechnik.com/)

They will give you a free 5hr stage 1 remap :)

A3Lee
10-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Revo Technik | ECU Remap | Engine Management Software| Audi Porsche Seat Skoda Volkswagen VAG (http://www.revotechnik.com/)

They will give you a free 5hr stage 1 remap :)

What do you mean a free 5hr remap? Free always sounds nice :D

ClubsportA3
10-10-2009, 05:54 AM
What do you mean a free 5hr remap? Free always sounds nice :D

Ummmm see the link to the site and dealer network they give you a 5hr remap so you can feel the change.

jst99
10-12-2009, 02:44 AM
May have to look into that ;) I have a dealer about 20 minutes away from me :D

I know the colour as Kingfisher Blue but not sure what the code is for it - just a bright light blue metallic

ClubsportA3
10-12-2009, 04:37 AM
Seen a few 80 coupe's in kingfisher and A4's but yea only 1 A3 that i can think of :D

jst99
10-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Just put a piccy in my avatar box - it looks lovely when its been washed and waxed

ClubsportA3
10-12-2009, 06:00 AM
That be it. Very nice :)