confused about Vag Com can anyone explain [Archive] - Audi Forums

: confused about Vag Com can anyone explain

ucf_motorcycle
09-27-2009, 10:22 AM
I just bought a 2.7T car (hasn't arived yet on the transporter). Anyway I am confused about the whole vag com scanning thing. Every car I have had has worked with an OBD II scanner that I have. I thought that every 97+ model year car was supposed to use the OBD II. Now I am hearing about this Vag Com thing. Do the Audi's not work with regular OBD II scanners?

evo1couperacing
09-27-2009, 06:51 PM
It should. My buddy has a 99 A4 and he uses his OBD-II com all the time.

ucf_motorcycle
09-29-2009, 09:35 AM
It does work. OK so why is everyone talking about this Vag com scanner? Does it do something more than the regular scanners? If so what?

09-30-2009, 04:25 PM
The normal OBDII scanner will work fine to show you any fault codes, depending on the scanner, it may let you monitor some functions of the drivetrain, clear codes, and do some basic troubleshooting. It's a good tool, don't throw it away.
VAG COM is an incredible Volkswagen/Audi tool, and cheap considering what it does. VAG COM is a very comprehensive diagnostic tool that you install on your laptop, and get the cable from Ross Tech. This program is more like the $7K diagnostic scanners that repair shops and dealers carry in their shop for more in depth diagnostic work. Logging, scanning, and the ability to see exactly what your car is doing really simplifies the repair process.

Also, VAG COM allows you to change many body functions as many VAG owners like to do. I'm talking about pushing a button on your remote and windows roll up/down/sunroof, some cars you can play with the Daytime Running Lights, etc... Each platform is slightly different, so not all functions work on all cars.
Dan