She died on me today [Archive] - Audi Forums

: She died on me today

aggieE46
09-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey People,

I've had my wife's TT for over 2 years now. In an effort to not mod it (she wouldn't appreciate it) I don't really touch it except for basic maintenance.

Today, coming home for the store at a stoplight, the car had a sudden rough idle, then died. Cranked, but wouldn't turn over. I pushed the car to a nearby parking lot and 2 people tried to jump start me. My dad ended up towing us home. Battery is fairly new, but I've checked it anyway. Doesn't seem to be the problem. I checked the fuel pump relay and it clicks when I turn the key (although I can't hear the pump prime). Plugs are fairly new, although I don't think a car idling perfectly would suddenly die from a fouled plug or bad coil-pack.

What could I check? 2003 TT, 1.8T, FWD, Auto.

Thanks!

Brady

aggieE46
09-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Okay, I have fuel. I'm going to replace my filter, although I don't think that's the problem. I guess I need to check spark. What all should I look for?

aggieE46
09-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Okay, I can see that I have spark (pulled a coil out and physically checked 1 and 3). Could something timing related have gone bad?

aggieE46
09-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Looked at my coolant temp sensor. It's the green version. Does this mean I can rule it out, or do the green ones still go bad?

Also checked a second key, still no luck. Thought it might be the immobilizer.

aggieE46
09-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Also, something of note. The after-run coolant system seems to run every time I try to crank the car. Just the pump. The car is completely cold. Should it still be doing this?

NZ Audi Tech
09-08-2009, 03:11 AM
try unplugging the air flow meter (in line just after airbox) and cranking. If this is the fault the car should run in a fail safe mode. Green coolant temp sender is okay. temp sender will not make it cut out though, just run rich.

The other thing you can try if air flow meter doesn't work is the output stage (on the side of the airbox with one plug in, one out) I'm not sure how to test these, I usually just swap them with one I know to be good from another car.

aggieE46
09-08-2009, 07:27 AM
I unplugged the MAF, no luck.

aggieE46
09-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Timing belt... damnit.

aggieE46
09-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Well, I'm really happy. Audi stepped up and is buying a new head and all the timing components. They only thing I'm having to buy is the thermostat and water pump. I'm totally fine with that. They didn't give me any hassle.

administrator
09-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Well, I'm really happy. Audi stepped up and is buying a new head and all the timing components. They only thing I'm having to buy is the thermostat and water pump. I'm totally fine with that. They didn't give me any hassle.

Good news. After reading this that was my next suggestion. Good information you posted here and welcome!

Nadeem