Restoring paintwork [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Restoring paintwork

Portland Bill
06-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Morning all,

A few months back, me and the Mrs noticed that some f***** had dropped something like a bike or whatever against the passenger side rear door and scratched it. The scratch wasn't massively deep but I had to use wet and dry to get it out.

My problem is, since I used wet and dry to sand it out, then rubbing compound to blend the area in, then T-cut to try and polish it out, there is a big hazy area around where the scratch was now, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of this haze.

If you stand and look at it in the daylight it looks spot on with an equal shine to the other panels, but if for example you're stood at the kitchen window in the morning with a different angle of light on it, you can clearly see where I've worked on it.

My question is, does anyone know how to get rid of the very fine scratching/polishing haze and restore the paint to it's original quality? Without sending it back to Audi....

Thanks all!

Kristian

P.S: It's a 58 black A3 just incase that makes any difference.

axel_ny
07-05-2009, 08:45 PM
My question is, does anyone know how to get rid of the very fine scratching/polishing haze and restore the paint to it's original quality? Without sending it back to Audi....

Thanks all!

Kristian

P.S: It's a 58 black A3 just incase that makes any difference.

what make difference is what sandpaper did u use, what grit. also a pic help , needs a lot of elbo grease to polish by hand , also a good compound is a must.
u may need a tool like an portal cable with a polish / finish pad and some finish compound