1996-97 Audi 100/A6 2.5 TDi engine for project - a few questions [Archive] - Audi Forums

: 1996-97 Audi 100/A6 2.5 TDi engine for project - a few questions

mr chips
04-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi folks, logged in to ask a couple of questions - hope I'm in the right spot!

I ride a trike, ie a three-wheeler of the sort you've seen Billy Connolly riding around on, and I'm toying with the idea of a new build - NB it would be somebody else doing most of the work as I don't have enough know-how for such a job.
I really want to use a 5 or 6 cylinder diesel engine and was thinking of the older Audi TDi, as fitted in the Audi 100/A6 in the mid 90s. As this was an inline engine it could be suitable for what I have in mind. In early 1995 the power of that engine was upped from 115 bhp to 140 bhp and of course it's the latter that I'd prefer. However there's a couple of things I don't know about it which could affect whether or not it would be suitable.

First off, did that car have an electronic throttle?
Secondly, how was the change from 115 to 140 bhp effected? An uprated turbo, introducing an ECU chip (or was the 115 bhp version also controlled by an ECU?), and/or anything else? Any information you can provide, or point me towards, about this would be very useful.
Finally, I think this engine was also fitted to Volvo S70/V70 - is that correct? Was it fitted to any other cars?

Thanks for any help you can give me folks!